Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ground Needed in this Case?

An older countertop range was removed which was on a double 30A breaker using only three wires (two 120 hot, 1 neutral, no ground). My hope was to leverage this existing wiring which had previosuly led to a junction box where it joined the wiring harness from the old range.

While here for another task, our electrician replaced the 30A breaker with a single 15A and a single 20A breaker. He attached one of the exisiting hot wires to each new breaker. I have since run two new 12/3 romex lines to the junction box, each to power a new dedicated outlet.

When ready to complete the work at the junction box, I expected to pigtail the three neutral wires (one old, two new) AND the two new ground wires together and then pigtail each existing hot wire to the respective new hot wires on each of the new romex lines.

I sought to confirm this with a friend who in turn checked with his electrician. The response was to not do this and that code requires a seperate ground wire back to the panel. This would obviously mean removing the existing 3-wire which serviced the old range and running new romex back to the panel.

I want the work to be safe and would like to capitalize on the existing wire and not liking to work directly at the panel (hence why I had our electrician do this change over from the 30A breaker to the 20A and 15A while he was already here).

Can anyone comment on the viability of using the existing wire as described, or if the two new grounds could be pigtailed and run to an existing ground elsewhere like the nearby electric dryer? Thanks!

Last edited by Rich Sutherland; 03-18-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Rich Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,072

Not sure what approach you are referring but, You would be further ahead to just run two new circuits and take the old cable to the scrap dealer to recoup a bit of you money.
Any new circuits MUST have a ground to meet current code.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the approach of using the existing wire and handling the junction box as described. Or I just added - would it be possible to pick up a nearby ground such as the dryer?
Rich Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sutherland View Post
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the approach of using the existing wire and handling the junction box as described. Or I just added - would it be possible to pick up a nearby ground such as the dryer?
No, you just take a ground wire to the dryer, because it may be a 3 wire feed also.
Your electrician should have told you this before he too your money.