Ground From Extetior Meter - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ground from extetior meter

My neighbor just accidentally cut the ground wire from the meter to the ground rod. Can the be spliced back together or is it best to have it replaced. Is there any safety issue until it's fixed

Advertisement

Roger0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,874

It will be cheaper to replace it that having someone Cadweld or put an irreversible splice on it.

The only danger would be if you had a surge or lightning strike until it is repaired.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Thanks. Exactly what I was thinking
Roger0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

It is best to have it replaced. Cadweld is acceptable. I'm not sure about split bolts.

Surge protectors may be rendered completely ineffective. The house may be unprotected from lightning. Safety is compromised.

Oops, Jim said it faster, and better.

Last edited by Glennsparky; 11-09-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger0205 View Post
My neighbor just accidentally cut the ground wire from the meter to the ground rod. Can the be spliced back together or is it best to have it replaced. Is there any safety issue until it's fixed
See the following regarding why the ground needs to be there: http://inspectapedia.com/electric/El...Inspection.htm It is not there just for Lightning strikes or surges.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
See the following regarding why the ground needs to be there: http://inspectapedia.com/electric/El...Inspection.htm It is not there just for Lightning strikes or surges.
That is TOTAL BS. I'll bet you $100.00 I can connect a conductor directly from a breaker to a ground rod and the breaker will NOT trip. The current must go back to the source, not the earth.

Last edited by brric; 11-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (11-10-2013), Philly Master (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Totally wrong information… typical though. Ground rods are installed for lightning strikes, not to facilitate the operation of an over current protection device….
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
brric (11-09-2013), danpik (11-09-2013), electures (11-09-2013), Jim Port (11-10-2013), Philly Master (11-09-2013), Speedy Petey (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Totally wrong information… typical though. Ground rods are installed for lightning strikes, not to facilitate the operation of an over current protection device….
AND, accidental faults between the primary and secondary at the utility transformer.
Know A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 270

What do the kids say OMG....THis guy is so far off the mark

Quote:
Why we need electrical grounding

The grounding system at a building provides an easy path for electricity to flow to earth should a problem, such as a short circuit, occur.

Allowing current to flow to earth through the ground system helps assure that a circuit breaker will trip or fuse will blow should a problem occur. Properly operating these overcurrent devices help prevent fire and shock.

Should an electrical fault occur where no ground path is present, the electrical potential is just sitting there waiting for a person to come along, touch some component of the system, and by accidentally providing a path to earth through their body, receive a burn or potentially fatal shock.
Know A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Time to repost this video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiMr...layer_embedded
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/bregnd.html
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
I agree. Mostly inaccurate BS. It's a shame so many folks rely on sites like that.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
WHAT AT ALL does this have to do with the OP or grounding electrodes????
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
electures (11-09-2013), stickboy1375 (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

Wow! I've been "lurking" this forum for some time and after this, I couldn't resist joining. And all I can say is OMG at some of the stuff that is mentioned about electricity on here. It's a wonder most folks don't burn their house down! But I must also add, the professional electricians on here are very impressive with their advice. However, Mr. Greg IC3 (Interior Communications Electrician - on Ships, Enlisted E-3), dude, you should really stick to hooking up home stereo systems / telephones and leave the electrical advice to those that know their stuff. Your video and hyper-links make no sense to the topic at hand and are simply worthless nonsense period. (as mentioned by others). Just some friendly advice that will more likely be taken as a stab. Sorry, dude. Other than that, just had to opine. Interesting forum.
NotaDIY/Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NotaDIY/Pro For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (11-09-2013), electures (11-09-2013), Philly Master (11-10-2013), stickboy1375 (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 564

Quote:
I clicked on the inspectapedia link and my virus program went nuts. Says the site is known for malicious content.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
WHAT AT ALL does this have to do with the OP or grounding electrodes????
The answer is that it all has to do with why there is a grounding system in place on today's electrical system. Here, maybe this can make it clearer for you http://www.pfeiffereng.com/Principal...0Grounding.pdf

Advertisement