Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

grnd just 1 outlet for uverse

New to site and see lots of conversion grnd info so don't want to be redundant but I want to keep this as simple as possible for me.

I have just one outlet in basement about 30 ft from main breaker box that I want to change from 2 to 3 prong outlet for required grounded plug to have uverse gateway equipment installed by AT&T. The back of the wall plug is exposed for unfinished side of basement.

May I just buy a BARE COPPER WIRE and a 3 prong plug from hardware and snake the ground wire out of the way on floor joists or on top of basement sill back to the main box ground bar (having turned off breaker before entering).

Would this be the most economical way and is it safe & allowed. (fyi -I see that in my basement at some time in the past someone attached solid core copper ground wire from water line feed (just as it comes thru the basement wall) & ran it all the way back to the main breaker box grounding bar.

I need to keep this simple, cheap, and safe.

Thanks,
tbill

P.S. By the way, I just have the 2 wire older 12 gauge I guess you call it Romex. It does not have the plastic sheathing and it is not clad in metal.

Last edited by tbill; 01-28-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: more info
tbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Bill do yourself a favor and run a new 12-2 wire with ground for safety. You should be able to get a 50" roll for around 20 bucks and then you will know it is done right and the wire is new.

I just checked lowe's website and 50' of 12-2 is 17 bucks

Last edited by ponch37300; 01-28-2009 at 09:45 AM.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #3

Question

Well, I didn't communicate very well with information to start with.

The basement as a finished side and an unfinished side. The one plug in basement meant that I only had one plug I wanted to ground not that there was only one plug in the basement.

So, the wiring out of the plug I want to ground (it's is in the wall between the unfinished and finished sides of basement) does NOT run directly to the box in the unfinised side. It goes up the unfinished wall onto the basement concrete wall sill and runs in back of the sheetrock into the finished side of the basement. There, this run of wire interconnects to run the ceiling lights and wall outlets for the entire side of the finished basement.

The only way I can see to ground this one plug I have access to back to the box is with an exposed BARE solid copper wire to the grounding bar.

I should have mentioned all of that but just rediscovered that having moved things from shelves on the unfinished side of the wall to trace the wire run from the electrical outlet I want to ground.

Does this sound like my only solution now?

Thanks for your reply.

Tbill
Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Why don't you just replace the outlet with a GFCI?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #5

well, I was reading some earlier posts and thought I understood from it that things weren't truly "grounded" unless you put a good hard ground from the outlet back to the breaker box.

Another thing, if it is not truly "grounded" as AT&T requires for their "Uverse Gateway" equipment. It is my understanding their requirements are for truly grounded outlet.

Thanks
Tbill
Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #6

Bill, I think I understand your situation. Do you have room in your breaker box for another breaker? If so I would simply run a new circuit and cut in a new outlet box and make this a dedicated outlet for just the uverse equipment. Probably be just as easy as running a new ground wire.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Why don't you just replace the outlet with a GFCI?
If AT&T doesn't care where the equipment is, I think run a new outlet right next to the panel as this would be your easiest option. What needs to be run to the gateway? Fiber, Ether, Coax? Then, what needs to be run FROM it? To where?

Last edited by jerryh3; 01-28-2009 at 11:57 AM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Bill, I think I understand your situation. Do you have room in your breaker box for another breaker? If so I would simply run a new circuit and cut in a new outlet box and make this a dedicated outlet for just the uverse equipment. Probably be just as easy as running a new ground wire.
Yes, i have a slot open but hate to use it up for this one plug. I appreciate your mentioning this as an option.

I just don't see why I could not run one bare,solid, copper wire from this one outlet to the grnd bar in the breaker box?

Can I? What is the problem with that in your opinion as long as I run it on top of concrete basement wall sill (out of the way) down to the breaker box.?

Please your thoughts?

Thanks,
tbill
Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 264

I've got to jump on the bandwagon here. If you've got room in the breaker box, run a new 15A circuit and do it right. Also, if you have an unfinished side of your basement why are you dropping this piece of equipment on the finished side?
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
If AT&T doesn't care where the equipment is, I think run a new outlet right next to the panel would be your easiest option. What needs to be run to the gateway? Fiber, Ether, Coax? Then, what needs to be run FROM it? To where?
Jerry,
I won't know FOR SURE, which plug they need grounded but they indicated it would be the plug/outlet where my internet service is going to be used in this location in the basement. That is the one I have been speaking about. It is my impression they will salvage cable company coax within home already if it is of grade usable for the t.v. portion of the service & they will splice it together for all t.v.'s in home and run to "gateway" equipment that may be plugged into this outlet. I do not believe I can get them out here for a preview without a trip charge to make a for sure assessment. They have other types of wire for different scenarios but it is flexible to the tech determination once they review the situation. I imagine whatever requires the least labor & time that is sufficient for transmission standards. I suppose there will be either coax or another medium from the interface on the exterior of home to the "gateway" device that may receive some power from this grounded plug. I am looking at a bundled service form t.v.,phone, & internet, so any fluctuations in power are not a good thing it has been suggested.

Want to do this as cheap as possible with bare wire and not use up last slot in breaker if possible.

tbill
Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
I've got to jump on the bandwagon here. If you've got room in the breaker box, run a new 15A circuit and do it right. Also, if you have an unfinished side of your basement why are you dropping this piece of equipment on the finished side?

Well WaldenL, the computer cabinet is just on the finished side of the basement with it's plug/outlet located into the wall seperating the two finished and unfinished sides of the basement.

I don't have a visual of the type or length of connections off of this "gateway" equipment so I am trying to play it as safe as I can going from the information I was told that the gateway equipment would be best located close to computer/internet power that had a grounded plug. That is, if I heard all of fyi from them correctly.

Tbill
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
DIYer

As far as I know, it's OK to have a separate grounding conductor strung the way you want to. You are correct that a GFCI will not provide real grounding.

I'm with the others in saying it's preferable to just make a new run with fresh grounded 12/2.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 264

A separate conductor would work from an electrical side, I don't know of a code requirement that would prevent it, but I'm not a code expert by any stretch. My concern would be that the EGC wouldn't be run along the same route as the current carrying conductors, so someone might later remove that wire assuming it wasn't needed.
I'd like to know why others are recommending 12/2 over 14/2. It's not likely to be a 20A circuit, and it's not a long run.
As for the positioning, I would imagine there is an ethernet switch built into the device so I would think it can be mounted anywhere and just have a cat5 run to the computer.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,048

If you currently have an ungrounded outlet that is served with only 2 wires and the wiring method is non metallic cable (romex) you are perfectly legal and compliant with the NEC ( 250.130 C ) to run a individual green insulated ground wire back to your service panel ground/neutral bar. You can use solid or stranded wire. That one outlet will be the only one grounded just to be clear. That will suffice till you have time to do otherwise.
If that is the simplest then go for it.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 01-28-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
If you currently have an ungrounded outlet that is served with only 2 wires and the wiring method is non metallic cable (romex) you are perfectly legal and compliant with the NEC ( 250.130 C ) to run a individual green insulated ground wire back to your service panel ground/neutral bar. You can use solid or stranded wire. That one outlet will be the only one grounded just to be clear. That will suffice till you have time to do otherwise.
If that is the simplest then go for it.

Thanks Stubbie.

Gauge required? You said stranded O.K.? That would be easiest.

Tbill