Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Grey Bar

What are yout thoughts on purchasing electrical supplies from Grey Bar?

Are there prices competitive on electrical supplies? I have purchased phone and data from them in the past and have a number of my nicer tools from them, i.e. fiber fish tape, punch tools, butt set, etc.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Grey Bar

It's "Graybar" not grey bar.

In most cases for homeowners it is not the way to save money, as the account holders and contractors get the best price. A friend of mine is the sales manager for Graybar. He tells me that contractors with an account get the best price (depending on how much business you do with them)". Walk in customers like you get the next best price and if you are a government body you pay the most. Contract accounts get the very best price at least on paper.

In an electric supply house you can usually count on the quality of the products sold. I saved a good bit of money at Graybar for some wire awhile back, compared to the big box stores. They price wire using market prices for the day or week.
When you need supplies, do as the pros do, SHOP.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
DIY'er

Grey Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
oops...
sales manager for Graybar. He tells me that contractors with an account get the best price (depending on how much business you do with them)". Walk in
Well I am sure I could get a contractors account setup with them. I had an account for my telco / internet business with them, but sold that business. We just would not have a lot of volume. Well it's worth a try checking out there prices.

I've spent a couple hundred just on inside wire for my own home just this week. $68 for 250' 12-2wg, ounce, and $44 for the same in 14.

Jamie
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #4

Grey Bar

If your not an electrical contractor or similar, you will not get the best price. You may be able to set up an account, but most supply houses do not set up accounts for low volume end users.
First, you have to understand what an account is. Instead of paying up front you will be billed. You then have 30 days to pay it. ( usually). In most cases if you are a big volume user you can negotiate longer billing cycles. Graybar is not going to extend credit to you unless you can prove you are credit worthy and will be using them as a supplier. Paperwork cost's money. They want to keep as much of it as they can.
Note: billing cycles negotiated shorter than 30 days can improve your cost. Save you money.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 554

Grey Bar

JV is right on with his comments. I'm surprised that they will even sell to you. The Graybar around here is wholesale only.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

Grey Bar

I've bought a few things from Graybar... for work. We don't have an account. They did seem pricey to me.. but, I was using a corporate card.. so I didn't really shop around. It was the only place in the area I could find a 25 pair amphenol phone cable after I'd cut mine too short. D'OH!!
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
DIY'er

Grey Bar

Quote:
If your not an electrical contractor or similar, you will not get the best price. You may be able to set up an account, but most supply houses do not set up accounts for low volume end users.
First, you have to understand what an account is. Instead of paying up front you will be billed. You then have 30 days to pay it. ( usually). In most cases if you are a big volume user you can negotiate longer billing cycles. Graybar is not going to extend credit to you unless you can prove you are credit worthy and will be using them as a supplier. Paperwork cost's money. They want to keep as much of it as they can.
Note: billing cycles negotiated shorter than 30 days can improve your cost. Save you money.
Yep that is what we had setup with them in the past when buying telco stuff. I am really not sure how good the prices were though.

We have bought and paid for on time about 100,000$ of building materials in the past year, so we have some decent references if they are needed.

We would still be low volume though....

Jamie
Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Grey Bar

You might try this web site www.gordonelectricsupply.com Thier prices are very good.
Woodyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Grey Bar

Quote:
At least he didn't say gaybar!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #10

Grey Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
At least he didn't say gaybar!
Jimmy, You bring out the best in me, in this case my memory.

20 years or so ago, I had a Graybar bumber sticker on the back of my state owned vehicle. It said "Follow me To Graybar"
Some of the guys in the shop decided to surgically remove the "R" in Graybar when it was in for servicing.

I drove around half the state of Florida for two years with a bumper sticker that said "Follow me to Gaybar"

OP sorry. If you have good credit "references" and you plan to do substantial business with Graybar, I would think you can set up an account. I know you could here.

Last edited by J. V.; 09-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.