DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Green Bonding Screw

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  sirsparksalot 
#1 ·
In a new panel, I can't seem to find the location for the green grounding screw that's supposed to connect the neutral and grounding lug. According to the pic, seen here, it's in the center, but the screw provided won't thread there??

ALSO, without the screw in, both the neutral and ground bus are in continuity with one another, so I'm wondering the necessity of it??

#2 ·
Yes you need it and they are often times difficult to screw it. The threads are painted up or just a tad too small for the screw. It will (and needs) to be there assuming this is your main panel. If there is a disconnect before this panel, do not install the bonding screw.

Reactions: sirsparksalot
#3 ·
THat's exactly where it goes.

The reason for the bond is so that the panel box is bonded.
This way if you add another ground bar it is continuous with the neutral bar. Also, it is so that if you have any AC cables entering the panel they will also be bonded through the panel box itself.

#5 ·
I'm going to assume the pic you posted is of your panel. Thus I am going to assume that you are reading continuity because the screw is touching the panel, but not screwed in. It needs to be screwed in.

#6 ·
This is, indeed, my panel. But, it came with the screw out (not installed at all). And, I used an ohmmeter to check between the neutral and the case, and the ohmmeter goes full scale, and beeps, indicating shorted (continuity).

#13 ·
All those bars are connected at the top of the panel. They are all neutral bars (although grounds do go there in a main panel). We might be able to help you more with your question if you describe where you were metering.

#15 ·
If the bonding screw was not installed and you metered it as it is pictured (without any wires), there is no way you would have continuity.

Reading your picture again, you state that all these places show 0 Ohms...where exactly do you show continuity?

#18 ·
OK, then, I got it going, and finished. The screw did fit (in the square hole), and I suppose that there may have been some neutral and ground wires installed when I made the measurements, though I don't see how that would have make any difference if the screw wasn't in.

Thanks for the help everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.