Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Great stuff around boxes?

From an electrical standpoint is there any reason not to use Great Stuff around plastic electrical boxes?

The generic version of great stuff says you can use it around electrical boxes,but the brand name does not.

Any reason not to use it around boxes and romex?

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #2

I cannot see any problem with Great Stuff, except for the mess. Now, you cannot use it for a fire rated wall in place of fire caulk.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I cannot see any problem with Great Stuff, except for the mess. Now, you cannot use it for a fire rated wall in place of fire caulk.
However- there is now fire rated Great Stuff, slightly more expensive but would compensate for the rating need. It is a darker orange in color.
Attached Thumbnails
Great stuff around boxes?-fireblocklg.jpg  

Last edited by handyman78; 12-15-2008 at 01:12 PM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman78 View Post
However- there is now fire rated Great Stuff, slightly more expensive but would compensate for the rating need. It is a darker orange in color.
No, the orange fire foam is for firestopping and draftstopping...That is a totally different animal than fire assemblies, ratings, and fire separations. Orange fire foam is not a suitable replacement for intumescent putty pads or other listed measures to prevent fire and heat passage through a penetration of a rated assembly. Orange fire foam's listing allows its use in firestopping as required in IRC 602.8 within its listed limitations, but it is not accepted or listed for addressing penetrations in rated walls, floors, and ceilings.

In single family nonrated construction, I see no reason why great stuff or similar expansive foams cannot be used around electrical boxes. If the foam is applied in the box, that would be a code violation. Placement of foam in contact with certain can lights would be an issue as well.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
No, the orange fire foam is for firestopping and draftstopping...That is a totally different animal than fire assemblies, ratings, and fire separations. Orange fire foam is not a suitable replacement for intumescent putty pads or other listed measures to prevent fire and heat passage through a penetration of a rated assembly. Orange fire foam's listing allows its use in firestopping as required in IRC 602.8 within its listed limitations, but it is not accepted or listed for addressing penetrations in rated walls, floors, and ceilings.

In single family nonrated construction, I see no reason why great stuff or similar expansive foams cannot be used around electrical boxes. If the foam is applied in the box, that would be a code violation. Placement of foam in contact with certain can lights would be an issue as well.
Thanks. I just wanted to get it around the outside of a few boxes in the 1/4 plywood wall between my house and garage. Someday perhaps we will get the garage upgraded to rock so it is meets todays code as a fire stop, but for now it is going to stay the way it's been since 63, and I am just going to foam up around the boxes while I have the wall open on the inside of the house garage wall.

I haven't researched it much, but it's my understanding that now when homes are built there are a number of fire stop measures put into place, but back in 63', I don't think they barely did a thing in terms of fire stops.

Jamie

Thanks
Jamie
Old 12-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #6

Jamie, you're correct about fire-resistive measures in the garage nowadays. The common walls and ceilings must be rocked, as well as any structural supports such as exterior walls, headers, steel beams and posts.

What you're doing is fine, and if it prevents air/smoke/flammable gas movement between the house and the garage it is a safer situation than you had before!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Jamie, you're correct about fire-resistive measures in the garage nowadays. The common walls and ceilings must be rocked, as well as any structural supports such as exterior walls, headers, steel beams and posts.

What you're doing is fine, and if it prevents air/smoke/flammable gas movement between the house and the garage it is a safer situation than you had before!
I am putting up some 4mil plastic on the inside as a vapor barrier as well. I used kraft faced, but it seems like the plastic offers a little better seal.

Maybe someday I will get to rocking the garage, I was just thinking about it and I bet it would be over 30 sheets of 10' rock. Plus I'd have to work around my shelves I built in or uninstall them. What a ton of work.

Thanks
Jamie