Government Regulation And Unintended Consequences - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 512

Government regulation and unintended consequences

So I just learned something today. Back in 2005 (so yes, this time it IS W's fault), our caretakers in Washington wanted us to save energy. So they mandated that ceiling fans come with CFL bulbs, in case we were too stupid to buy them. But wait: what if the light kit design requires candelabra bases? We'd better put in an exception for those! So our caretakers did so, and congratulated themselves. That's where the thinking stopped. So if you're wondering why nearly every fan has a candelabra base, that's why: because manufacturers naturally didn't want to include a more expensive bulb with the product. Of course, the unintended consequence is that people like me are wasting MORE energy: because the light fixture I replaced could accept plentiful medium base CFL or LED bulbs, but I'm essentially forced to use a wasteful incandescent in this ceiling fan.

So whadda ya think, people: just swap out the dumb candelabra socket for a medium, right? Or do you know where I can get a 750+ lumen LED or CFL that fits, plus won't die in 10 hours from hanging upside down in an enclosed fixture?

Advertisement

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Research 'Game Theory' and 'Unintended Consequences'. The intentions of the public policy makers almost becomes irrelevant.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 588

Try these:

I have them in my ceiling fans with an enclosed globe.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44769-3-2975...nfo=Candelabra
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
operagost (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Thanks. I have had good luck with Sylvania CFLs.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

As a wise Greek said 2000 years ago: "The first thing we have to do is kill all the politicians and judges."
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
micromind (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
So I just learned something today. Back in 2005 (so yes, this time it IS W's fault), our caretakers in Washington wanted us to save energy. So they mandated that ceiling fans come with CFL bulbs, in case we were too stupid to buy them. But wait: what if the light kit design requires candelabra bases? We'd better put in an exception for those! So our caretakers did so, and congratulated themselves. That's where the thinking stopped. So if you're wondering why nearly every fan has a candelabra base, that's why: because manufacturers naturally didn't want to include a more expensive bulb with the product. Of course, the unintended consequence is that people like me are wasting MORE energy: because the light fixture I replaced could accept plentiful medium base CFL or LED bulbs, but I'm essentially forced to use a wasteful incandescent in this ceiling fan.

So whadda ya think, people: just swap out the dumb candelabra socket for a medium, right? Or do you know where I can get a 750+ lumen LED or CFL that fits, plus won't die in 10 hours from hanging upside down in an enclosed fixture?
I think you didn't look hard enough.

I have quite a few 7w candelabra CFL's in my house....like all of the kids night lites....hall lights....Sconce lights...

Not sure what the problem is....

BTA....I don't light real bright lights in the ceiling...I much prefer indirect light or task lighting....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #7

A 7W CFL is like 200 lumens. That is the problem. This is a single socket rated for 60W to provide primary light for a bedroom.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
Try these:

I have them in my ceiling fans with an enclosed globe.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44769-3-2975...nfo=Candelabra
I'll second this.
We use these bulbs mounted upside down. They have been running for a year. They also seem to be brighter than other 60 watt CFL equivalents.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

That's exactly what I like to hear. I have had many, many CFLs die prematurely when mounted upside down. GEs are terrible; they're likely to die prematurely even if they're not upside down. Philips are better; most of these have lasted a few years, but the ones upside down do die quicker. Sylvania seems to be the best; I bought two in 2007 and one is still working. Small sample; I know.

Advertisement