DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Gounding breaker box. (

sakelch 11-28-2012 01:01 PM

Gounding breaker box.
I am selling my home and the inspector said I need to ground my breaker box to a water line. My question is my main box is in a finished room and the nearest water line is in my garage on the opposite side of the house. I have a subpanel that runs my AC and dryer which is in my unfinished laundry room. Could I ground the subpanel to a water line in the laundry room?

electures 11-28-2012 01:39 PM

No. It has to come from the main service disconnect. Is your water main plastic or copper? Is it a home inspector?

Jim Port 11-28-2012 01:40 PM

How did your inspector determine that the panel was not already grounded?

Only the service panel would be grounded to the water line and ground rods.

sakelch 11-28-2012 01:41 PM

All copper and yes it is a home inspector.

electures 11-28-2012 01:41 PM


sakelch 11-28-2012 01:43 PM

No sure how he determined that it was not grounded. It is grounded outside to rod outside but no to the water line.

It is copper.

electures 11-28-2012 01:45 PM

Can you post a picture with the panel cover off?

sakelch 11-28-2012 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Attachment 61136

sakelch 11-30-2012 08:25 AM

how about what gauge wit do I need?

hidden1 11-30-2012 07:20 PM

152 Attachment(s)
for 100amp service using copper its #6 ...200 amp is #4. and must be connected within 5 feet of point of entrance into home.

TTW 11-30-2012 07:44 PM

Does the water line coming in from the street enter in the garage? Is that where the water meter is located?

sakelch 12-01-2012 12:34 PM

Yes it comes In the garage and the meter is there also.

electures 12-01-2012 04:27 PM

Is there a groung rod? If so, where does the #6 CU come from? Where is the main panel in resepct to the meter?

AllanJ 12-01-2012 10:33 PM

The inspector called you on the lack of the water pipe ground because he did not see it or find it. For a metal main water pipe exiting the house underground you need to have such a grounding as described above. It's okay for that wire (grounding electrode conductor) to go all the way across the basement from the panel with the first main disconnect switch to the water pipe.

Technically, a metal main water pipe exiting the house underground counts as a grounding electrode and all grounding electrodes must be bonded (connected together with appropriate sized wires as GECs). A metal gas pipe exiting the house underground does not count as a grounding electrode but the gas piping system should also be bonded to the aforementioned grounding electrode system. A wire similar in size to a GEC can be used; here it is called a bonding jumper.

A GEC to a ground rod need not be larger than #6 copper regardless of the amperage of the electrical system.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1