Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Gotta replace 12-2WG NM-B underground

About 10 years ago we had an above-ground pool installed for the grandkids. When the pool was installed, the contractor ran power from GF breaker in an existing auxiliary panel on my house thru about 75' of buried 1/2" PVC conduit to a receptacle mounted in a weatherproof PVC box that stuck up above ground about 12" next to the pump base. The pool reached the end of it's usable life last year and we demolished it, but I left the electrical service in place. It looked kinda odd to have a receptacle box sticking up in the middle of the yard, but it was sometimes useful.

Recently I decided to extend that electrical service to provide power to what is essentially a gazebo we've constructed on the previous pool site. Based on advice/info gathered here, I assumed I could splice onto the original wire and extend it the short distance needed. I bought the splice kit and prepared to install it, but when I pulled the old receptacle out I discovered that the contractor had wired it with 12-2WG NM-B.

So, I'm faced with the choice of pulling new wire thru the conduit (if possible) or abandoning the old service, digging a new trench and running UF. My first choice is to try pulling the old NM-B out and new wire in. Assuming the old cable comes out, should I try to pull a 12-2WG THWN or UF cable, or would three #12 conductors be easier?

Again, it's about 75' thru 1/2" PVC, one 90 below ground under the panel. I haven't tried anything yet -- here in southeast Louisiana today we're marking time waiting for Hurricane Isaac to arrive -- but the conduit seems to be in good shape.

PPBART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Pull three 12g THWN IMO assuming the conduit is at proper burial depth for your local code.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
...assuming the conduit is at proper burial depth...
That's another question mark now... guess I should at least try digging down to verify its depth.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 698

You have many options.

1. Cut conduit back near the outlet and then continue the run of underground conduit to the new location. I assume not having to dig the 75' might be highly desirable so even if it is a bit crazy routing the last few feet so what. Your back with thank you. Once conduit done then pull new wires in conduit (THWN wire is all you need) don't waste money on UF cable if you have conduit.
  2. Install a underground splice box at the same location and continue the conduit run from there. The top will need to be accessible but at least flush to ground. Continue wire run from this point on.
  3. Use a UF underground splice kit and extend the UF wire to the new point of use. No need for conduit as UF is direct burial. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...&sorttype=list
  4. Same as 3 but use conduit for rest of run. Bury splice in C style conduit body used to splice conduit and to locate buried splice underground. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAN...uit-Body-4FYP5
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,432

It will be much easier to pull in 3 conductors vs a cable assembly. Just cut the elbow off the conduit, add a coupling and extend the run.

Underground splice kits for cables can be buried without a box.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
It will be much easier to pull in 3 conductors vs a cable assembly...
OK, I'll do that.

Related question: Do I have to use black, white and green colored wires? I have most of a 500' spool (maybe 400') of black #12. Can I just use three pieces of this and apply colored tape or in some other way indicate which is hot, neutral, etc.?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPBART View Post
OK, I'll do that.

Related question: Do I have to use black, white and green colored wires? I have most of a 500' spool (maybe 400') of black #12. Can I just use three pieces of this and apply colored tape or in some other way indicate which is hot, neutral, etc.?
Not and be code compliant.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Not and be code compliant.
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I've seen it done in the past (marking wire in some way to indicate color) but obviously that doesn't count for much here & now... <G>