Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Share |
Default

Got a Little Shock


Now it makes sense and you could very well have a bad system ground. Barefoot on concrete makes a good ground through your body. Now, if you want to test this, put on a pair of rubber bottomed tennis shoes, fine a flat piece of metal like a cookie sheet and put in on the concrete floor and stand on it to make sure it is in good contact with the floor, then measure the AC voltage from the outlet ear to the cookie sheet. You won't get shocked if you hold the meter leads and not touch anything with your fingers. I'd really like to hear what you find for voltage.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Got a Little Shock


Quantify your shock.

Solder 5 ea., 15,000 ohm, 2w resistors in parallel to make a composite 3000 ohm, 10w resistor. Using clip leads put this network across the two points that gave you a shock.

Measure the voltage across the resistor with a DVM.
For most adult males, showing 30vac or more will be an unpleasant shock and 3 vac or less will be undetectable. 1vac or less is a phantom voltage.
Putting more than 170vac across this resistor will exceed its power dissipation rating.


For some few men with low skin/body resistance, substitute a 300 ohm, 2w resistor. 3vac or more across this resistor will be an unpleasant shock and 0.3 vac or less will be undetectable.
Putting more than 24vac across this resistor will exceed its power dissipation rating.

Parts available from Hosfelt or similar places, or Radio Shack. These will trip a properly working upstream GFCI or AFCI.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-11-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Default

Got a Little Shock


Quote:
Anyway, they are going to come out tomorrow and check into it further.
I'll be sure and post what they find.

I may be wrong, but it sure seems like this is not normal.

Again, thanks for the advice and Yoyizit, thanks for the offer, but I'm in Georgia and with the price of gas...
Gregors,
I'd sure like to hear the outcome of this
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Got a Little Shock


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Gregors,
I'd sure like to hear the outcome of this
Me too. I wouldn't rule out Demonic Possession
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 301
Default

Got a Little Shock


About being grounded only to the plumbing system. That was back when plumbing systems were made of metal. It's now changed because what happened was people were grounding to the plumbing, and later with renovations or pipe bursts replacing sections of the metal plumbing with pex & plastic so the plumbing itself isn't grounded anymore. Now you have a safety issue if your electrical system is grounded to it. That's why only grounding to plumbing isn't allowed anymore.

I had my breaker panel replaced, and the electrician had to install 2 grounding rods and he also grounded it to the plumbing (which mine are still all metal). Grounding rods are cheap and easy (but the wire & acorn nuts aren't).

Did this house have any work recently, where the plumbing was replaced with PEX/plastic? Or better yet, what happens if you get one of those cheap testers and plug it into the receptacle?

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-11-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #21
Electrical Contractor
 
kbsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,360
Default

Got a Little Shock


Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
..... Grounding rods are cheap and easy (but the wire & acorn nuts aren't)....
I can buy 5 "acorn" ground clamps for the same money that buys only one ground rod. How much do you have to pay for these items?

__________________
-KB

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about electrical shock chewing cords sljacobs Electrical 12 02-25-2010 09:36 AM
Getting small shock from household electronics cases (in Asia). Why? scootley Electrical 16 11-11-2009 10:09 PM
Nail gun shock injuries dswan388 Safety 5 06-17-2009 12:21 PM
Nail gun shock injuries dswan388 Roofing/Siding 11 11-24-2008 06:34 PM
Nail gun shock injuries dswan388 Tools 5 11-02-2008 08:46 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.