Got 3 Power Source’s Want Automatic Grid Tie Meter, If Can - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Got 3 power source’s want automatic grid tie meter, if can

I have as followed:
solar gen of about 14 kwh per day (want more panels in future) standard inverter to grid meter tie.

2 wind gen about 1800 per hour x wind per day thing= about 7-18 khw per day 12 and 24v options.

Natural Gas gen rated to 4-7kwh @120v / Can out 12v or 24v dc

The problem:
I want to tie all into an automatic system to my grid tie meter 200amp so all can
Zero out electric bill per month.

1. Solar system tie works on own right now prefect.
2. Wind is on a switch for auto switch when after the solar power drops
3. Gas gen is setup to run on gas collection compost and oil as is made. When tank get full I run the gen to use gas and spin meter back fast. Plus it has nat gas draw line when power grid goes down. On this gen I want to draw off 1500-2000 watts like a 15 amp circuit need some limiter so to only take that much power (to a camper trail when needed) the rest goes back to meter etc.

Am looking for any help to a section to read or equipment to look at etc.
Thxs

Advertisement

Last edited by Tension; 03-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I would suggest you contact your POCO and a Licensed electrician in your area for help on this one that is a lot to tie in all together. I have never seen anyone tie in all that into the POCO but there may be a control that will allow it.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Hi thanks. Am looking for electrician one that knows. When I talk some know a little in what I want to do and are not sure. As a DIY with electric and electronic understanding I see the issue as.

Sensor and auto switches
And device that can blend the 3 power into one at an rating that I can gen. in systems.

Semi solution
1) At night solar no work, auto switch it out from 9pm to 4am now safe from power overloading back.

2) auto switch wind power to switch to charge batteries and start Nat gen from 11pm till 3 am if that much gas is there to burn, when gas in available in tank.

3. after gas gen runs out on gas switch back, Batteries are discharge into systems etc. ( batteries don’t last long if totally drain thing FYI problem)

4. back to day light conditions etc. start cycle again.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

Any number of grid-tie inverters can be combined together with no problems. So one way to do this is to get a grid-tie inverter for the wind generator to integrate it with your system. The generator is more difficult. Generators are not inherently capable of grid-tie operation without additional complexity. Grid-tie generators must be synchronized to the grid, the way an inverter is. Usually only very large generators are capable of this. The easiest way to achieve this in your case would be to use a low voltage DC generator, a small battery bank (for smoothing purposes only, no need for much storage), and a grid-tie inverter intended for solar use. Alternatively, you could combine all three power sources into a battery bank (again, not much storage needed) and use a single grid-tie inverter/charger with good charge control logic to handle the grid interface. When the batteries are full and there is excess DC power coming in, the inverter/charger will push it back to the grid. Such inverter/chargers are uncommon and expensive because this is a difficult engineering problem to solve and not many systems require it. But you would only need one, and you only need it to handle the peak excess production capacity from your three sources.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Any number of grid-tie inverters can be combined together with no problems. So one way to do this is to get a grid-tie inverter for the wind generator to integrate it with your system. The generator is more difficult. Generators are not inherently capable of grid-tie operation without additional complexity. Grid-tie generators must be synchronized to the grid, the way an inverter is. Usually only very large generators are capable of this. The easiest way to achieve this in your case would be to use a low voltage DC generator, a small battery bank (for smoothing purposes only, no need for much storage), and a grid-tie inverter intended for solar use. Alternatively, you could combine all three power sources into a battery bank (again, not much storage needed) and use a single grid-tie inverter/charger with good charge control logic to handle the grid interface. When the batteries are full and there is excess DC power coming in, the inverter/charger will push it back to the grid. Such inverter/chargers are uncommon and expensive because this is a difficult engineering problem to solve and not many systems require it. But you would only need one, and you only need it to handle the peak excess production capacity from your three sources.

Hi thanks I like your thinking. Can I get all the spec's you need and can you design a parts list. Will pay for your help if you would do. Let me know. thanks or Where can I find a person in area by what name other than an electric guy as this is more than they know. Not all just the ones I have come by so far.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Just hope that you do not run into this situation, like our local Park district ran into "The wind turbine at Southwind Park wasn't moving Monday, even though the wind was blowing at more than 20 mph. In fact, the turbine has been off line since Jan. 1, when a malfunction damaged parts inside a control box. The turbine, which is less than a year old, is under warranty, but difficulties in finding specialty parts have pushed back the repair date to next month. "It's frustrating," said Lynn Saputo, general manager."
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

They are small wind gens I have 3 on roof and 2 out above treeline. I like this better. Going to put poles in that I can hide all them from eye contact. I do find that the 5 smaller 900watt give good power all around. As i use this to compress Natural gas for free than run gas gen., on very low wind days
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tension View Post
Hi thanks I like your thinking. Can I get all the spec's you need and can you design a parts list. Will pay for your help if you would do. Let me know. thanks or Where can I find a person in area by what name other than an electric guy as this is more than they know. Not all just the ones I have come by so far.
I don't think you'll like my hourly rate. But I'm sure you can handle this yourself. There are many excellent resources online for designing and installing alternative power systems. As I'm thinking about this more, I think you will be better off with separate grid-tie inverters for the solar and wind installations, and forget about a utility-interactive generator for now. Few grid-tie inverters are designed to work from stable voltage sources like battery banks or generators. That poses substantial control algorithm problems. Instead, they rely on the power source providing an inherently limited supply, which the inverter tracks to ensure that optimum available power is delivered to the grid from the solar or wind source. To run a utility-interactive generator requires either a DC generator with a battery buffer and a grid-tie inverter capable of operating from that source, or a grid synchronized AC generator (the typical solution, but only for large plants). Focus on getting your solar and wind sources connected first, which is easy with any of the common grid-tie inverters designed for those sources. Then later you can deal with the bio-gas generator project, which will probably require some engineering creativity. My solution for that would depend on the relative power output of the generator versus the other sources.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Tension (03-29-2012)