Goin Crazy With No Water! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

goin crazy with no water!

Hi this is my first post. I know a little about electrical wiring (used to study it years ago). Heres my dilema: I share a well with a few neighbors but we each have our own "pump house". We all throw together to pay the meters (I know this doesnt make sense, but I just moved here) for the different pump houses. Well, I payed the folks whos name its in but they never payed the bill. Long story short, I have no water. I called the electric company, they said two hundred something dollar deposit and the electric will be on to my pump house, and my neighbors! Im not really wanting to pay for theirs...especially since they been collecting my cash and not paying the bill!

So the pump house runs on 240V. Is there a way I can temporarily wire this up using 120V outlets until something else is resolved? I know its probably not the "best" way to do this, I just need a temp fix.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Oakwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

How are you going to string a 12-2 Romex from a double wide double gang breaker in your 120/240 volt panel? Through the trees? (You'll need 10-2 if the pump draws more than 20 amps.)

The ground wire in the Romex is grounded both at your panel and at the ground rod or other ground at the pump house. The motor must be disconnected completely from the two hot wires from the dead service before being connected to your makeshift line.

If you made the $200. deposit, would it be applied to your neighbors' electric bills if they did not pay their share down the road? If that is the case I would not want to resume service that way. Still, the electric company will rip the makeshift line out if they find it.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-11-2008 at 06:11 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

pump runs on 220v cant run on 110. IMHO pay the electric company and if needed get electrician to isolate you from the rest, pay your own bill
Another thing just hit me, do you have a LEGAL RIGHT to use this well? If you have no easement or something in writing you may have a whole other issue about to happen :{ CYA

Last edited by skymaster; 02-11-2008 at 06:14 PM.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #4

Not sure what you mean. My pump house is on my property if thats what you're talking about. Not through the trees, LOL.

If I made the $2xx deposit, it would not credit their past account, but rather start a new one for me. Lets me explain a little. Lets say they live at 123 My Rd, thats the name/address the accout is in now. I live at 456 My Rd. For some strange reason, they are some way some how connected, even though I have my own meter, pump house, etc. Its back woods as can be! So there is no way to pay the deposit for just me. Im not trying to be rude, but if I paid them before and they didnt pay the bill, who knows what they might try to do if I put it in my name. They could have free water for life!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

Ok what I was getting at to start is Who owns the well?, Is the well on your property?, is there a LEGAL arrangement to share a common well? Any time I have heard a something like this it was over a common well owned by several houses.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #6

Im actually not to sure who owns the well as right now I just rent the place. I really just need to rig this up and Im moving out (for more than just this reason, but thats another story).

Any suggestions are very much apprieciated. The only 240 plug is at least 100 feet from the pump house. There an outside electrical outlet (2 "plug" 120V) right beside the pump house though. In all honesty, Im not going to leave the thing run constantly if I rig it, just enough to take a shower, do the dishes, and flush a couple times a day, then unplug at night (just in case).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Custom Cabinet Maker

Man you are sure between a rock and a hard place sorry for that. Ya cant run 220 with 110. Also you do have board of health issues without running water. I would be knockin on some doors right quik or pack it up and move.
If you have a place in mind but not quite ready for ya hell get a hotel room, 200 bucks by you gets ya a week at least.
I think you talked to electric company but I would call em back and tell em this is an emergency maybe they can run a temporary for you that only gets you water.As last resort call local board of health and tell them, fer sure ************ will hit the fan but may work out better for you.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #8

Yea I know, issues for sure...It just happened today so Im trying to get on it. Electric company is no help. I have electric in the house, just none to my pump house. I could pay the deposit and get it in my name, but then what...pay for my neighbors pump house? The neighbors are in some finacial troubles (obviously). They could end up and run there house off that electric. I was really hoping there was a way to rig it up for a couple of days and get out. Im really thinkin about ripping the meter out, but Im pretty sure thats a felony. I was also thinkin about taking the plug off my dryer and hooking extension cords off each line and running it to my pump house, but its about 100 or so feet away.

Other than that, I feel like Im stuck. Sure, theres probably all kinda legal issues in here (the landlords supposed to pay for the pump house) but thats not getting me any water!

Again, Thanks for reading.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

get a generator and a 220 cord, disconnect the pump from the power supply and plug it into the generator. when you don't need water, lock the generator. when the power gets staightened out, reconnect it to the supply.
nacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Custom Cabinet Maker

Nacko;hmmmmmmmmmmmmm good idea as long as he doesnt have legal issues disconnecting the other houses
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #11

Sounds good, I dont think I have that kinda spare cash, the generators I've been looking at seem a little expensive. Ill have to check my classifieds.

Ill also have to check and see how this is all setup. I really dont know why my landlord wouldnt be in charge of this, seeing as how everything is on my property. I dont know whats on the neighbors. They live about a quarter mile down the road. There are houses in between mine and theirs, but some of them arent affected by this. This is so strange...I dont really know how the whole shared well program works...Ive only been here a few months.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Call your local legal aid NOW. Ask for someone who deals with landlord-tenant law. Do not spend any of your own money to jerry-rig something that the landlord should be doing. You are better off spending $200 on an attorney who can get you out of your lease (cause you have a lease, right? wrong? if you do, read it).

DO NOT spend a penny until you get a legal opinion on this. Maybe you're going to have to pay (depending on the lease) maybe not. But if your landlord is too half-assed to make sure you have running water how can you be sure he will take care of any other problems?

Talk to a lawyer. Seriously, no fooling.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not only get the legal aid but also check with the county office they will keep track of records of the wells [ most state have pretty strict rules on this one ] so you can find out what the deal with it.

One of my freind he have shared well with his neghbor they used for brief while then switch over to city water and after that the county asked them if they will keep the well or abanoned it. somehow they kept it but only for outside facuet useage [ i did verify the plumming arrangement so there is nothing can be tied into that and county inspecter check that as well on both house and it ok ]

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

I see what's going on. For some reason all the pumphouses are wired to one service which is in your neighbor's name. Your neighbor had his power cut off because he didn't pay the bill.
Do the pumphouses have their own meter or is the power running off your neighbor's house (in which case, your neighbor wouldn't have power to his house at all)?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,048

Oh. You have a properly wired 3 prong 110 volt receptacle at your pump house wired to your own service.

If it's not daisy chained from another light or receptacle, you can temporarily convert that into a 220 volt line. Reconnect its white and black at the panel to a ganged double wide breaker. And replace the receptacle with a 240 volt style receptacle and temporarily connect the pump exclusively to a cord and plug.

(You can flip off the breaker when yo are not using the pump just in case someone tried to tap into the power.)

If the neighbors in question are a quarter mile down the road, how can they possibly own the well and how can they possibly have the same electric meter serving all pumps? Given the pump house on your own property and separate pump metering, it should be a no-brainer to have your own bill for water pump power which separate metering and billing is your desired goal even if you have to make a $200. deposit.

>>> kept the pump for outside faucet usage [after converting to city water]
OT: Excellent way to cut down on water bills especially if sewer is billed according to water usage.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-12-2008 at 09:43 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote