Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #1

Share |

Glows In The Dark...

I'm just wondering what would cause a 24" 20-watt flourescent tube to glow very dim at both ends while the switch is off, even when the light hasn't been used for several weeks or even months? When the switch is turned on the light works fine.

Koldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Glows In The Dark...

Lighted switch?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

Glows In The Dark...

Will the lamp glow if in nearly the same position after it is disconnected from the sockets? I hate to think that you have a field in your house strong enough to do that, but it will cause this phenomenon.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Glows In The Dark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post
Will the lamp glow if in nearly the same position after it is disconnected from the sockets? I hate to think that you have a field in your house strong enough to do that, but it will cause this phenomenon.
Haha, maybe he lives next to an AM broadcast transmitter. I'm betting on a lighted switch though.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Glows In The Dark...

It's just a regular switch not a lighted one. This fixture is in the kitchen. There's another fixture in the kitchen that has a cfl bulb and the electric range also has a flourescent tube but, neither of them glow when "off". There are also cfl bulbs in the bathroom and there's a 48" flourescent fixture in the workshop (the workshop is in an outbuilding) and none of them do this. I have never pulled this fixture down to check (because it works fine otherwise) but I was wondering if it might be wired wrong, nuetral to hot or something?

Last edited by Koldhammer; 11-01-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

Glows In The Dark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post
Do you mean just remove the tube and hold it close to the fixture? No, I haven't tried that yet. I'll check that out. Could it be some sort of field? I have noticed that I get a lot of noise on the AM radios and on the TV too. The AM radio has a battery back-up. I've noticed that if I unplug the radio from the wall and run it on battery power I don't get the noise. I never gave it any thought that this might be related.

Last edited by Koldhammer; 10-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #7

Glows In The Dark...

I had the same problem it whose a lighted switch with a 13W CFL. The only choice is to replace the switch or you could try a new CFL with a higher watt I used a 23W I think no problems since.

If you can maybe try higher watt bulb or maybe your switch is worn out and needs replacement. Is the switch worm to the touch?

Last edited by rodm1; 10-28-2012 at 06:48 AM.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

Glows In The Dark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldhammer View Post
[LEFT]Do you mean just remove the tube and hold it close to the fixture?
Yes, that is what I meant. You might have to tape it up there because I don't know what the additional high impedance ground might do. Here is a better test. What happens when the breaker is shut off?
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Glows In The Dark...

My next step would be to see if there was a voltage at the ballast with the switch turned off. Trying to find the cause of the voltage if there is any could be a task.. Or it could be something foolish.
Marc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Glows In The Dark...

Turn off the breaker...does it eliminate the glowing?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #11

Glows In The Dark...

No, the switch is not warm to the touch. It feels the same as all of the other switches in the room. The switch does share a box with a split circuit 240 volt outlet for the kitchen countertop (which has a microwave oven plugged into it). Both halves of this outlet are on separate breakers but,this light fixture does not get it's power from either of those breakers. It's on a different breaker. OK, I tried turning off the breaker that supplies power to this light. When the breaker is off the light does not glow.

Last edited by Koldhammer; 11-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Glows In The Dark...

Maybe you have a Tesla coil nearby?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #13

Glows In The Dark...

I wonder if where that circuit is in a box with a split circuit sharing a netural, if all the neutrals are tied together in that box could be causing the problem. In other words seperate the neutral tht is supposed to be dedicated to the light circuit and the neutral for the split circuit.

Marc05 is offline   Reply With Quote