Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

GFI will not reset will line is hot

I had a GFI pop, I purchased a new GFI and it will not reset either. This is an external line. I followed the line from the house into the shop and there it a T and the plug off the T, prior to the GFI works fine. The line is hot to the GFI and tests hot. With a new GFI, I do not know what is causing the GFI to not reset. There is nothing plugged into this line after the gFI.
the only thing that runs off this gfi is a very small pump for water feature, but is a very small gph pump and that pump works fine if plugged into the plug prior to the GFI on the same line.

Last edited by soccerdude; 09-06-2008 at 07:53 PM.
soccerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
I had a GFI pop, I purchased a new GFI and it will not reset either. This is an external line. I followed the line from the house into the shop and there it a T and the plug off the T, prior to the GFI works fine. The line is hot to the GFI and tests hot. With a new GFI, I do not know what is causing the GFI to not reset. There is nothing plugged into this line after the gFI.
the only thing that runs off this gfi is a very small pump for water feature, but is a very small gph pump and that pump works fine if plugged into the plug prior to the GFI on the same line.

Does the GFCI reset without the pump plugged in?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

AFter installing the new GFI, when powered up, I cannot get the reset plug to hold and the red light kick light is on.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #4

nothing is plugged in at all
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

Are you sure it's wired correctly? (Connected to the line terminals and not the load)
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #6

I believe so... the plug is pretty straight forward.. I have taken it apart a few times and ensured the line was in the correct section and with a meter it tests hot at the line.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #7

I do not know why the other one popped, I ASSUMED it went bad, but it may not have been bad and just sharing the same symptoms. I thought maybe something prior to the line was causing this, but the T off the line to another plug works fine and the line is hot to the GFI. So not sure why the other popped, but do know the GFI, this one would pop now and again for unknown reasons and this one worked fine 1 week ago as the small wine barrel pump/water feature was doing its thing fine.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #8

what are the chances the old gfi was bad and the new one is faulty? is that remote? I know little about electricity other than the danger, but this seems simple since the plug prior to the GFI works and nothing is plugged into this. There are two plugs other than GFI that in the "load"? after the gfi, but nothing is plugged into them either.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #9

a thought.. can I just run the line into the GFI and then try plugging in something? do I need to add the load line for the GFI to work and set? I am thinking if the problem is after load plugs (2) of them that have nothing plugged in.. would this isolate the problem? all guess work on my side..
Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #10

another thought... going down in the dark into the shop, off the gfi, there are (2) plugs (unused) and two switches, one that runs the outdoor light of the shop (1) bulb light and then two florescent fixtures in the shop. I did unplug the florescents, but what about the outdoor light on the outside of the shop???
Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
Electrician

How is the GFI wired?

You have a feed coming into the box from the previous receptacle, this should be landed on the Line terminals. If you have a cable leaving this box and going to another receptacle it can either be tapped off of the Line terminals (which would mean the receptacle downstream is not protected by the GFI), or it can be wired to the Load terminals (which would mean the receptacle downstream is being protected by the GFI).

The first thing I would do is take all of the wires off of the GFI and verify with a meter that you have 120volts coming into the box. If you do, take that cable and wire it to the Line terminals and try to reset the GFI. If the GFI still won't hold you have a bad GFI. If the GFI holds, then rewire the other cable to the GFI, if the GFI won't hold then you have a problem with either the wiring to the downstream receptacle or a faulty piece of equipment plugged in somewhere downstream.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #12

Please clear this up.

How is your gfci wired?

Did you tie the incoming power to the terminals marked "LINE"? Should be YES.

You say there are two other outlets after the gfi on that circuit. Did you tie the power wires leaving your gfi box to the terminals marked "LOAD" or did you wire nut them to the incoming power wires?

Either is proper, but they result in two different setups. (1) If wired to the LOAD terminals, then your other outlets are protected by this gfci. Any ground fault problem at those receptacles would trip the gfci. (2) If wirenutted to the incoming power wires, then they are NOT protected by this gfci.

I think you have #1 and there is some problem going on between the gfci and other receptacles causing the gfci to trip (and doing it's job). If so, disconnect any wires from the load terminals, power it up, and it should reset. You then need to check the rest of the circuit after the gfci.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #13

I guess I type slower than EDFD6!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #14

yes, I have the line coming into the GFI and then a line out that goes to
1. (2) plugs not used
2. Light switch for outdoor light on the shop and the indoor.

I will test on Sunday, just having line into the box and reset and if that works, i know it is down line.

since the two plugs have nothing in them, does that guarateen they are ok and I have to look at the light switches?

if the light switches are off, does that matter or can they flip the GFI even in the off position.

I will check my meter for the 120 first.

if that is the issue.. what does that mean and where do you go to trouble shoot?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #15

I very much appreciate the input as this is has me going nuts not knowing why, as it seems to be simple in that, power to the plug before. This has a GFI I presume.. I did not do the wiring, builder did, but presume it has a GFI as it is exposed to the external weather in a water proof box per say.. it has a plastic flop down cover and is external as if you had an electric trimmer, etc. I am guessing.