Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

GFI Tester

My Travel Trailer lost all 110 power last week. I have 110 at the breakers... no breakers are tripped and never have. My GFI tester reads GRD/HOT reversed. I have removed wall receptacles on all circuits and replaced one that had some evidence of heat at one time... no change in status. GRD/HOT reversed. How could a ground wire and a hot wire be reversed? Nothing has been touched.... no wiring altered. This started a week ago one evening and the entire coach is now working on DC. Not good... I will need the Air Conditioner when we use it.... I find no smoked or blackened areas in any of the receptacles so far... 3 to go yet. Any suggestions? Maybe GRD?HOT Reversed means something cryptic in Electrician speak for faulted thingamabob....? LOL.... HELP!

WRBJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Sparkaholic

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

GFI Tester

Did you plug your travel trailer in with a different cord than usual? Whether it is the same cord or not I would check both ends to be sure that all the connections are still made and tight.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

GFI Tester

If you've got 110 volts (to what? ground?) at the breakers, but no power, you may have a problem with the neutral. Maybe a broken wire in your cord, or a loose connection somewhere.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

GFI Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBJR View Post
My Travel Trailer lost all 110 power last week. I have 110 at the breakers... no breakers are tripped and never have. My GFI tester reads GRD/HOT reversed.
Nothing has been touched.... no wiring altered.
A bad tester plus a wiring problem?

You wouldn't have a schematic for this trailer, would you?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

GFI Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1up View Post
Did you plug your travel trailer in with a different cord than usual? Whether it is the same cord or not I would check both ends to be sure that all the connections are still made and tight.

Yes, I checked both ends... all is good in that department....
Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

GFI Tester

What are the voltages at the receptacle you're plugging the trailer into? Measure Hot to Neutral, Hot to Ground, Hot to Hot (if there are two hots), and just for giggles, Neutral to Ground.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

GFI Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
If you've got 110 volts (to what? ground?) at the breakers, but no power, you may have a problem with the neutral. Maybe a broken wire in your cord, or a loose connection somewhere.
Well I am a novice so bear with me... when probing the main incoming wire from the shore connection into the main breaker with positive probe and placing the negative probe on the Green wire to the bus bar.... 110. I will look for a loose connection but am running out of places to look. I have actually opened almost every receptacle to check connections... maybe 3 left. All look good and are tight.

I have disconnected the heating system and the Air Conditioner just to be sure the problem isn't there. No diff. All wires leading into the bus bar are tight.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Mad Scientist

GFI Tester

Quote:
Well I am a novice so bear with me... when probing the main incoming wire from the shore connection into the main breaker with positive probe and placing the negative probe on the Green wire to the bus bar.... 110. I will look for a loose connection but am running out of places to look. I have actually opened almost every receptacle to check connections... maybe 3 left. All look good and are tight.

I have disconnected the heating system and the Air Conditioner just to be sure the problem isn't there. No diff. All wires leading into the bus bar are tight.
In instances like this, you should check between hot and neutral as well. Should be a white wire coming into the panel.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

GFI Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
A bad tester plus a wiring problem?

You wouldn't have a schematic for this trailer, would you?

I took the tester in the house and plugged it into a receptacle and it shows 2 green lights... "good" or normal connection. So I figured it was good.

I have the schematics for the converter and the area where the breaker or bus bar is but not the actual runs through out the coach.

Quote:
In instances like this, you should check between hot and neutral as well. Should be a white wire coming into the panel.
I will. I think you mean check the white or neutral wire with neg and positive to the Black, right?

Quote:
What are the voltages at the receptacle you're plugging the trailer into? Measure Hot to Neutral, Hot to Ground, Hot to Hot (if there are two hots), and just for giggles, Neutral to Ground.

k... will do it right now.... be right back....

Quote:
k... will do it right now.... be right back....
Hot to Neutral= 101.5
Hot to Ground=118
Neutral to Ground=1.4

only 1 Hot wire.....
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #10

GFI Tester

Hot to Ground=118
Hot to Neutral=101 ???

Does this indicate a loose connection?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Sparkaholic

GFI Tester

Have you checked the outlet that you plug your cord into at the "shore connection" ? Is there corrosion on the outlet or male cord cap? I think your problem is between the shore connection and the panel, not at the interior outlets.

Check hot to neutral at the shore outlet and see what you have? If it is good there take the cover off the panel and check line to neutral, if no problem there then plug the cord into the shore outlet and check at other end of cord (female end) and see what you have there.

If the proper voltage is not found at the shore outlet pull it and check the voltage at the wire feeding it, if it is not right you will have to trace it back to the main service panel (not the RV panel) and see if there is a loose or burnt connection somewhere in between.

If the shore outlet has the proper voltage but the panel does not unplug the cord from where it plugs into the RV and test voltage there. If it is good then check the connections at the inlet receptacle on the RV.

Last edited by sparks1up; 06-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.
sparks1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #12

GFI Tester

You have an open neutral. Hot/grd reverse is the reading you get with an open neutral. Measure neutral to ground. You will probably get over 100 volts.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #13

GFI Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1up View Post
Have you checked the outlet that you plug your cord into at the "shore connection" ? Is there corrosion on the outlet or male cord cap? I think your problem is between the shore connection and the panel, not at the interior outlets.

Check hot to neutral at the shore outlet and see what you have? If it is good there then plug cord into it and check at other end of cord (female end) and see what you have there. If it is ok there then take the cover off the panel and check line to neutral. If at any point in this process you don't find the correct voltage between line and neutral you have found where the problem lies!
Actually all of the shore receptacle and cables are new. No corrosion. The values listed as Hot to Neutral of 101 are at the shore power plug in box. So the power going back to the house is suspect? I do not know what the value should be for Hot to Neutral.... but I suspect 101 is not correct.

I agree that the interior receptacles are ok... I actually pulled them and checked. I replaced on GFI that was bad and one receptacle that showed signs of overheating at some point in the past.

So Hot to Neutral of 101 at the shore power connection indicates what? I will look for loose connections as that is all I know to do until I find out for sure what 101.5 volts means....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You have an open neutral. Hot/grd reverse is the reading you get with an open neutral. Measure neutral to ground. You will probably get over 100 volts.

Ok, so I get 1.4 volts when reading Neutral to ground on the shore power connection receptacle. 100.1 Hot to Neutral... and 118 Hot to Ground.

I suspect that the connection further upline back to the house has a loose neutral wire connection? There is in fact a splice just before the cable enters the eave area of the home....... I should look there I suppose
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Sparkaholic

GFI Tester

Quote:
Actually all of the shore receptacle and cables are new. No corrosion. The values listed as Hot to Neutral of 101 are at the shore power plug in box. So the power going back to the house is suspect? I do not know what the value should be for Hot to Neutral.... but I suspect 101 is not correct.
Yes from what you are describing the problem is between the house panel and the shore outlet! Could even be a power Co. problem, check voltage line to neutral in house panel.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #15

GFI Tester

If you were to plug something into the socket the neutral ground voltage would probably go to 110. Look for loose neutral connection anywhere there is a junction including in the panel.