GFI/Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFI/Switch

I trying to wire a GFI in an old house. Currently the is only 2 wires coming in from the fixture to the switch. Can anyone assist on how to add and wire a GFI. I'm sure I need to go to the GFI first then the switch, but not for sure.

Advertisement

scrappers0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

GFI/Switch

You can start by reading this thread grounding outlets As for using a GFI on a 2 wire, it will have to be placard as a "Un-Grounded" outlet, otherwise it will be thought of as a grounded outlet. As for updating from 2 wire, how hard would it be on a scale of 1-5.

For instance, my house is about a 3, due to I have 2 wires in the walls going to light switches, that would mean either pulling wire up a common wall to go through the attic and back down, or leave it at where I have gotten to so far, and that is switching out all of the outlets, and leaving the lights. The wire for me was all 2 wire Greenfield, and originally only 4 circuits to control the whole house.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

GFI/Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappers0205 View Post
I trying to wire a GFI in an old house. Currently the is only 2 wires coming in from the fixture to the switch. Can anyone assist on how to add and wire a GFI. I'm sure I need to go to the GFI first then the switch, but not for sure.
If you are trying to connect a GFCI at a switch with only two wires, it won't work. All you have in this case is a hot feed and a switched hot back to the fixture, there is no neutral.
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote