Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |

GFI in pool

The electrical wiring for my pool comes from the garage. The conduit is buried and run from the garage to the pool area where it comes up and has an outlet box to plug the pool pump into. The GFI is located in the garage. I have noticed that the conduit (where it comes out of the ground to plug the pump into) and the outlet box is quite loose. My question is: If the conduit is split, possibly from rusting etc, and moisture has gotten into the conduit where the wire is, is it safe to swim, and will the GFI kick off the pump if there is trouble? I turn the pump off for safety purposes when people are swimming, but this is not possible when I need to vacuum the pool. How would I repair this?

Thanks
Pam
pamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #2

GFI in pool

Wire run in buried conduit is wet rated, since it is considered a wet location
Many underground conduits are full of water

There shouldn't be any problem
I would dig up & secure the conduit or replace the end
NOTE: In some cases there is only conduit where the wire enters the ground & leaves the ground
---if they used UF wire

Any bare wire that creates a short thru water should kick out the GFCI
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Master Electrician

GFI in pool

Pool wiring should include and insulated equipment grounding conductor.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Sparkaholic

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

GFI in pool

If the conduit is broken due to rust and is wobbling loose it very well could cut into the wiring and cause a shock hazard and or short circuit. The pipe and box needs to be repaired and the wiring checked! And unless you check your GFCI regularly I wouldn't bet my life on it tripping due to a ground fault.

And its fine to say that there should be an equipment grounding conductor but that doesn't mean that there is one...have it checked!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

GFI in pool

Pump should be on 20 amp breaker. Pump motor will be warm.

Filter Pressure is a result of several elements of the mechanics in the pool. These include pump flow, filter flow rate, pipe size, number of returns, size of the return opening , number of elbows, and other equipment such as heaters and chlorinators. The pump sucks water from the pool and then pushes the water through all the elements listed above. Each element creates a degree of backpressure which cause pressure in the pipe measured by pounds per square inch. A way to see the effects is look at the pressure and then take out the return eyeballs and the pressure drops. Pressure is needed so the pool returns can shoot water out and provide better circulation of water. Ideally your pressure sits somewhere between 15-20 PSI so there is good circulation without too much pressure on pipe fittings and equipment. However it is common for pressure gauges exposed to teh elements to fail and read wrong. Some people replace their gauges yearly, others learn to use them with the new readings. Most manufacturers suggest cleaning or backwashing the filter when pressure is 10 PSI higher then normal. Note that a high backpressure can reduce teh efficiency of the filter as well.
I am am a Certified Pool Operator
If ytou want take this off this area than pm me or email bulldogelectric@aol.com
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote