DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GFI outlets and power ?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ElectricianJeff 
#1 ·
New here and have an Electrical problem in one of my apartments. I'll try my best to break it down for ya.

2 outlets above the sink counter. One has a GFI. Microwave was plugged into the non-GFi outlet and quit working. Plugged Micro in another outlet and worked fine. The little light on the GFI is not green or yellow or anything. I pulled both outlets out and checked the outlets with a tester and there is no power to either outlets. I put the testers on the wires directly and nothing. I checked the breaker to the outlets and I have power to the main breaker, it's not tripping the main breaker, and if I push to reset the GFI still nothing. I'm kind of confused on this any suggestions? Is the GFI bad and cutting the current. If I change out the GFI will it fix it? I still figure that I should still have power to the wires regardless even if the GFI is bad... hmmm

#3 ·
2 outlets above the sink counter. One has a GFI. Microwave was plugged into the non-GFi outlet and quit working. Plugged Micro in another outlet and worked fine.
"Non GFI" outlet may be downstream of, and fed by, GFI and not labelled as GFI protected.

The little light on the GFI is not green or yellow or anything. I pulled both outlets out and checked the outlets with a tester and there is no power to either outlets. I put the testers on the wires directly
If the wires feeding the GFI read zero the problem is upstream.

and nothing. I checked the breaker to the outlets and I have power to the main breaker, it's not tripping the main breaker, and if I push to reset the GFI still nothing.
So it sounds like the GFI failed to an open state.

I'm kind of confused on this any suggestions? Is the GFI bad and cutting the current. If I change out the GFI will it fix it?
You could turn off the breaker that feeds this circuit, bypass the GFI terminals with insulated jumper wires, and see if this restores power to the downstream outlet fed by the GFI [if you have one] when the breaker is switched on.

I still figure that I should still have power to the wires regardless even if the GFI is bad... hmmm
To the upstream wires feeding the GFI, yes.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.