Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

I am trying to refinance my high interest rate loan. Chase loan company is trying to require me to install GFI outlets in my half bath and masterbath. Thing is that the half bath shares an GFI outlet with a kitchen circuit, and the masterbath shares a GFI outlet with family bath circuit.

Is there anything I can do to pursade them? Funny thing is the apraisers report says he is not an electrician and only looks for GFI outlets.
bkeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #2

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

are you saying that the other rooms are protected by the other gfi's?...if so, you are covered...
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

Why don't you just spend the $20 and put the outlets in? The way it sounds now, the setup is not code complaint so if they're only requiring you to put in GFCIs, you are ahead in the game.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #4

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

Yeah the half bath is on the GFI circuit in the kitchen with the GFI outlet in the kitchen. There is another GFI circuit in the kitchen as well. And the family bath has the GFI outlet, but the masterbath is on the circuit as well. My understanding was that not all outlets on a circuit had to be be GFI outlet.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #5

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

ok , so its on the circuit, but not protected by the gfi's, in that case you need to put gfi's where they stated...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

The circuit breaker(s) are GFI though. So that is why not all outlets in the kitchen are GFI outlets, meaning when I say that they do not have test reset buttons on them, but they are still protected.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

So this "electrician" sleuth figured they were not GFI protected simply from the fact that they were not GFI receptacles???
Wow!

Tell him to stick his GFI tester in and push the button.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #8

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
So this "electrician" sleuth figured they were not GFI protected simply from the fact that they were not GFI receptacles???
Wow!

Tell him to stick his GFI tester in and push the button.
exactly....sorry, i misunderstood your post...petey, it was probably one of these genius home inspectors
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #9

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

Wow...these guys always miss these "small" things.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #10

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

We ran into the same thing when we considered getting a VA Loan. It didn't matter if outlets were GFI protected, they wanted to see actual GFCI receptacles at every location. There were also a whole slew of requirements that none of the houses we looked at met (if I recall, they were very specific about handrail height and location, wanted lots of 3 way switches, etc.).

It was just too much of a headache to deal with, so we just went with a traditional mortgage. Plus, it was cheaper anyways...
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #11

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

ok so I think I was wrong about the GFI circuit breakers. The circuit breakers are AFI I believe(ark fault). So am I still ok in the bathrooms that dont have one? As there is an GFI outlet on the circuit. Isnt the same reason that not all my kitchen outlets are GFI?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #12

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeech View Post
I am trying to refinance my high interest rate loan. Chase loan company is trying to require me to install GFI outlets in my half bath and masterbath. Thing is that the half bath shares an GFI outlet with a kitchen circuit, and the masterbath shares a GFI outlet with family bath circuit.

Is there anything I can do to pursade them? Funny thing is the apraisers report says he is not an electrician and only looks for GFI outlets.
The (2) kitchen small appliance circuits can't be shared with anything else (except fridge)

A bathroom circuit/outlet must be GFCI protected
If I remember correctky You can either feed everything in the bathroom & not leave the bathroom
OR
You can feed all the bathrooms from the same GFCI protected circuit

But bathroom circuits as I understand it can't share with any other room. Possible exception being Master Bedrooms where it may eb hard to tell where the bathroom ends & the bedroom starts

How to persuade them?
Install the $5 GFCI outlets
I mean, won't you SAVE a HECK of a lot more then that by refinancing???????

Yes, not all outlets need to be a GFCI outlet, they just need to be protected by one
But you are probably not up to code
In most cases it's granfathered & not required to be changed unless you renovate
But agina....you'll be saving $$$ in the long run with a lower interest rate....

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 03-17-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #13

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

I agree. But funny thing is the inspector was back out today and took a picture of the ark circuit breaker as proof that its GFI.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #14

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

Well if anyone at the FHA/HUD knows anything they will know its not a GFCI breaker. But if they don't then you may slide by
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Electrician

GFI outlet for FHA/HUD?

For the saveings you will make on your interest spend the $30 and put the GFI in. If you want to be really cheap install the GFI and let the higher them us people feel good about makeing your house more safe. After they leave take them off return them to the store and get your money back.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote