DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   GFI for outdoor circuit (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/gfi-outdoor-circuit-159063/)

rshort 10-05-2012 01:57 PM

GFI for outdoor circuit
 
I am running an undergound 110v to my shed and adding a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my panel. It is about 130 feet from the panel to the shed and I plan to use 10awg put put a switch in between at the house . Where do I need to place the gfi. Is it before the undrground section or at the end or shed? Can I just use a gfi receptical or do I need to use a gfi breaker?

jbfan 10-05-2012 03:19 PM

Your choice!
If you use the gfci before the wire goes underground, you can bury it 12" deep, but you have to walk 130 feet to reset it.
You can put it out it in the shed, but you then need to bury the wire at 24"

Gfci receptacles are cheaper than breakers.
If you put it outside, it needs to be tamper proof/water resistant and have a bubble cover.

Dave632 10-05-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1024458)
Your choice!
If you use the gfci before the wire goes underground, you can bury it 12" deep, but you have to walk 130 feet to reset it.
You can put it out it in the shed, but you then need to bury the wire at 24"

Gfci receptacles are cheaper than breakers.
If you put it outside, it needs to be tamper proof/water resistant and have a bubble cover.

Would there be a problem doing both? (Budget permitting, of course.)

Put a GF breaker in the panel before the wire goes underground, so you only have to dig 12".

Put a GF receptacle in the shed, so if a ground fault occurs in the shed, you can reset it without having to walk the 130' back to the house.

jbfan 10-05-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave632 (Post 1024463)
Would there be a problem doing both? (Budget permitting, of course.)

Put a GF breaker in the panel before the wire goes underground, so you only have to dig 12".

Put a GF receptacle in the shed, so if a ground fault occurs in the shed, you can reset it without having to walk the 130' back to the house.

You can do that, but there is no way to know which gfci would trip in case of a ground fault.

Dave632 10-05-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1024475)
You can do that, but there is no way to know which gfci would trip in case of a ground fault.

I believe that Murphy's Law would apply. Whichever breaker is further away will be the one that trips. :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.