GFI Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFI installation

I installed a GFI in guest bath. There is a three way light switch downstream of GFI. Every time I turn on this light, the GFI trips. With no bulb in the light fixture, the GFI does not trip when either switch is put to on position. Will GFDI work upstream of a three way or is there inherent problem. If solution exists please advise. Is problem in grounding circuit?
Thank you.

Advertisement

whbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

GFI installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbare
I installed a GFI in guest bath. There is a three way light switch downstream of GFI. Every time I turn on this light, the GFI trips. With no bulb in the light fixture, the GFI does not trip when either switch is put to on position. Will GFDI work upstream of a three way or is there inherent problem. If solution exists please advise. Is problem in grounding circuit?
Thank you.
The problem is downstream. And I would try to dedicate the outlet in the bathroom. Move the switch and light to another circuit

Advertisement

Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

GFI installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbare View Post
Thank you.
Technically it should work so something must be wired wrong.
I take it you removed an existing receptacle and replaced it with a GFCI. How many wires were attached to the old receptacle and how did you attach them to the GFCI?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote