GFI Breaker & Pool Pump - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFI Breaker & pool pump

OK I have been reviewing this forum for a while.... and it is full of great advice - now that I'm knee deep into my project it's time for a couple of questions.....

Background: Inground Pool install
* 1.5 hp pump - dedicated wiring 12/2 Metal Clad Cable to service panel (30 AMP GFI)
* Pool Light - dedicated wiring 12/2 Romex to Service Panel (15 AMP GFI)
* Courtesy GFI Outlet - dedicated wiring 12/2 Romex to service panel

I am wiring the pump for 240V circuit and I pulled the 12/2 MC cable back to the service panel because it had an insulated ground, however I also have the 30 AMP - 2 pole GFI breaker and I have no neutral wire coming into the breaker just the Black (L1) the White* (hot L2) and Green (Ground).....

Have I done something wrong or as long as I put the piggy tail GFI neutral into the bus bar - does that make it GFI....?

Confused..

Thanks.
Mitchman

Advertisement

mitchman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

GFI Breaker & pool pump

You CANNOT use the 30 amp breaker with the 12/2 cable.You may only use a 20 (or 15) amp breaker.
The white wire from teh GFI breaker must be connected the the neutral bus in the panel. You do not connect anything to the load side neutral connection. A 240v motor has NO neutral, but the GFCB needs it's line side connection to work properly.

The pool light needs conduit all the way back to the panel, unless you are under NEC 2005 in which case you can use MC cable for the inside the house portion only.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #3

GFI Breaker & pool pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
You CANNOT use the 30 amp breaker with the 12/2 cable.You may only use a 20 (or 15) amp breaker.....

The pool light needs conduit all the way back to the panel, unless you are under NEC 2005 in which case you can use MC cable for the inside the house portion only.
Thanks Speedy Petey for the reply...

I ordered the 20 AMP GFI Breaker from teh supply house, but they only had 30 AMP in stock, I better go get that exchanged...

In regards to the wet-niche Pool Light, now I'm confused.... outside I am using 1' PVC conduit THHN/THWN 8 AWG wiring back to a junction box next to the house.... from there my service panel is on the other side of the house.... and that too has to be wired in conduit or MC if using NEC 2002.....? Holy cr*p.... this Pool Light ain't worth it....

Thanks for your help...

Mitchman
Old 05-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #4

GFI Breaker & pool pump

The pool light needs more than that. You need to go from the forming shell to a "deck box". From this deck box you can go to any junction box or switching device you like. But you cannot go directly from the shell to a swtich or j-box. Ask you supplier about the"deck box". He should know what it is.

I strongly suggest you get a good book or two regarding residential wiring, specifically having a comprehensive section on pools.
Pools and spas are one of the most highly regulated sections of the code, and for good reason.
This is not an area you want to make any mistakes.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #5

GFI Breaker & pool pump

Here is a good link to get you going:
In Ground Pools
Old 05-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #6

GFI Breaker & pool pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
The pool light needs more than that. You need to go from the forming shell to a "deck box". .
Thanks so much - I do have a "deck box" in between mypool light & switch/J-box, it's just hard to be too descriptive in a message forum thread.... (I suck at typing...)

It was the pool light - inhouse wiring that threw me...... I have herd so much conflicting info (from electricians) on in-house wiring from the pump & pool light, that it's maddening... my town follows NEC 2002, I've been reading NEC 2005.....

[/quote]Here is a good link to get you going:
In Ground Pools[/quote]

Thanks for the link too.... I have previously bookmarked & read this website for above/inground pool electrical wiring.....

Thanks again...

Mitchman
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

GFI Breaker & pool pump

First off why are you pulling #12 for a 30amp breaker. I beleive #12 is good for 20A, so you will need number 10 or 8, someone who knows for sure can tell you. If you leave it like this and I understand it you have a very unsafe situation.

Regarding the motor, if it is a 240V motor there will be no neutral. You can use the white wire as one of your hots though. The neutral is only used when you have a 120V device.

Darren
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

GFI Breaker & pool pump

SOrry did not see other people had replied

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote