Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Electrician

Share |

GFI Breaker

I am wanting to do some work around my house and would like to change all my plugs so it looks updated. The problem being is there is no ground to any of my plugs and I don't know where the first device is in order to to put a GFI there.

If i were to put in a GFI breaker on those circuits with my plugs, could i put in the grounded type of plugs and still meet code.

I am living in Canada so any canadian electricians who know our code I would appreciate the help.

Darren

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #2

GFI Breaker

There is a canadian electrician floating around here, don't know if he's found this side of the forum yet. Try putting your post here also; contractortalk.com.

Sparky Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #3

GFI Breaker

You could do that.

Here is the Ontario code FAQ from the ESA site.

The Code states "Where grounding type receptacles are used in existing installations to replace the ungrounded type, the grounding terminal shall be effectively bonded to ground." The Code permits bonding the receptacle by connection to a metal raceway or cable sheath that is bonded to ground; or by connection to the system ground by means of a separate bonding conductor; or by bonding to an adjacent grounded metal cold water pipe.
As an alternative to bonding the Code also states "grounding type receptacles without a bonding conductor shall be permitted to be installed provided each receptacle is protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type that is an integral part of this receptacle; or supplied from a receptacle containing a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type; or supplied from a circuit protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type. Where this option is used, no bonding conductor is permitted between outlets unless that bond conductor is in turn connected to ground.
GFCI protection of the receptacles protects against possible shock hazards but does not provide a ground reference to the U-ground slot of the receptacles. Some appliances require a bond be connected to the U-ground slot in order to function properly. For example, surge protective devices for computer equipment will not function without a ground reference.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote