GFI Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,298
Rewards Points: 802

GFI Breaker

I am wanting to do some work around my house and would like to change all my plugs so it looks updated. The problem being is there is no ground to any of my plugs and I don't know where the first device is in order to to put a GFI there.

If i were to put in a GFI breaker on those circuits with my plugs, could i put in the grounded type of plugs and still meet code.

I am living in Canada so any canadian electricians who know our code I would appreciate the help.



darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 75

There is a canadian electrician floating around here, don't know if he's found this side of the forum yet. Try putting your post here also;


Sparky Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
joed's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 13,448
Rewards Points: 13,696
Blog Entries: 11

You could do that.

Here is the Ontario code FAQ from the ESA site.

The Code states "Where grounding type receptacles are used in existing installations to replace the ungrounded type, the grounding terminal shall be effectively bonded to ground." The Code permits bonding the receptacle by connection to a metal raceway or cable sheath that is bonded to ground; or by connection to the system ground by means of a separate bonding conductor; or by bonding to an adjacent grounded metal cold water pipe.
As an alternative to bonding the Code also states "grounding type receptacles without a bonding conductor shall be permitted to be installed provided each receptacle is protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type that is an integral part of this receptacle; or supplied from a receptacle containing a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type; or supplied from a circuit protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type. Where this option is used, no bonding conductor is permitted between outlets unless that bond conductor is in turn connected to ground.
GFCI protection of the receptacles protects against possible shock hazards but does not provide a ground reference to the U-ground slot of the receptacles. Some appliances require a bond be connected to the U-ground slot in order to function properly. For example, surge protective devices for computer equipment will not function without a ground reference.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circuit breaker panel - Advice needed justtired Electrical 15 12-13-2007 05:55 AM
Outdoor breaker panel questions lhoney2 Electrical 12 07-19-2007 05:44 PM
Breaker Buzz SkipI Electrical 2 07-13-2007 07:48 PM
Holy smoking commander breaker drogosandybanks Electrical 13 01-10-2007 02:34 PM
Breaker keeps being thrown (solution?) JH7800 Electrical 4 06-28-2006 03:55 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1