Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

GFI breaker

After a bad night of storms in NJ (wind) this morning we had no power in any of my bathrooms.... Looks like all 2.5 bathrooms (basically and outlet and a light in each) are tied into one GFI breaker in the panel- I tried to reset it several times and it keeps tripping. Could it be that the breaker itself is shot or is there something else to look for? (nothing is plugged into any of the outlets....)

Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

GFI breaker

Could be lots of things but I'll get you started with the most obvious to me: Check the breaker panel to see if the breaker tripped. Some newer GFCI's need power to reset. If you are getting power to the receptical then I would replace the GFCI as they can wear down over time. The lightning surge may have taken it out.

Edit: Didn't catch it was the GFCI breaker. Was thinking receptical. That said I'd remove the hot and neutral and ohm it out to see if you are getting any short between the lines. As stated below it could be rain in an exterior outlet.

Last edited by Daltex; 01-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Daltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,192

GFI breaker

Wind driven rain may have gotten into an exterior receptacle.