Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 306

GFCI and switch

I have a GFCI outlet with a switch on top. The switch goes to overhead lights. The instructions that come with the GFCI are confusing. I have installed GFCI outlets before. The unist has two wire leads that I think are supposed to connect to the black and white wires leading to the lights. When I wire according to what the instructions say my outlet works fine, but the switch will not turn on the lights. If I wire the two wires leading to the light into the load part of the outlet the lights come on and stay on. The switch will not work in that case. Please help.

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

GFCI and switch

I have no idea what those two wires are, but as long as you have a hot and common to the light with the switch breaking hot, the light will work.

NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #3

GFCI and switch

I have tried two gfci/switch units from the store and they both do not work. There are two wire leads about 2" coming off the back of the switch portion. When I connect those to the black and white wires coming into the box from the light nothing happens. I have tried both combinations with the wires to no avail. There is probably a very simple solution to this.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

GFCI and switch

is this what we're talkimg about?
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

GFCI and switch

Nine, no the outlet has two wire leads hanging from the back. The isntructions say to connect it to the light using those leads.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

GFCI and switch

I found the answer at anohter forum here: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ml#post2033386
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

GFCI and switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
I have a GFCI outlet with a switch on top. The switch goes to overhead lights. The instructions that come with the GFCI are confusing. I have installed GFCI outlets before. The unist has two wire leads that I think are supposed to connect to the black and white wires leading to the lights. When I wire according to what the instructions say my outlet works fine, but the switch will not turn on the lights. If I wire the two wires leading to the light into the load part of the outlet the lights come on and stay on. The switch will not work in that case. Please help.
On your switch that is pre-wired(if correct)?

1) Whats the wire colors coming out the back on it?

2) How any lines you got coming out the wall box?

JuzRick is offline   Reply With Quote