Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #1

Share |

GFCI to Subpanel w/ Standard Breakers

Is it possible to use a 30 Amp, 2 pole GFCI breaker in the main panel box to feed a 60 Amp subpanel with #10 Wire going from the main panel to the subpanel lugs (assuming subpanel lugs rated for #10) and then use standard breakers in the subpanel?

The subpanel would feed a pair of new circuits in a garage where the wires would be fed to the subpanel through the basement into the garage. From what I read in 210.8, code merely states that the circuits must be GFCI protected and doesn't necessarily specifically indicate that each circuit must have its own breaker. Would this satisfy the code requirement?

I am considering this as an alternative to Flexible Conduit for GFCI/AFCI.

Additionally, can the same logic hold true for a shed that I am considering adding power to as well?

dcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #2

GFCI to Subpanel w/ Standard Breakers

Continuing to think this out, out loud...

If I feed this into a subpanel, would conduit protection even be required for the feed from the main panel to the subpanel? Could I simply feed the subpanel with NM, 10/3 and then use EMT conduit from the subpanel to the first outlet that would be GFCI and satisfy al code requirements?

I think this would actually be the most inexpensive total cost wise as well as one of the easier as far as labor is concerned. However, as I only deal with high voltage electrical as a "hobby", my complete knowledge of the code is more limited to LV applications.

Any insight you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated. If something I have proposed is not allowed by code, it would be helpful if you can reference the code section for me, so I can fully review.

Thanks.

dcapone is offline   Reply With Quote