DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GFCI Stumper

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
I have a whirlpool on a GFCI outlet.

I can plug a lamp into the GFCI and it works fine.
I plug in the whirlpool to the GFCI outlet and it trips immediately.
I unplug the whirlpool, reset the GFCI, plug the lamp in and it works fine.
I plug in the whirlpool and it trips immediately.

I plugged in a GFCI outlet tester and it shows that it is working properly.

I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the whirlpool.
So I ran an extension cord to another GFCI outlet and the whirlpool runs just fine.

I next thought it had to do with the GFCI outlet itself.
I replaced the GFCI outlet and the same problem happens again.

I unplugged a few other minor things on the circuit with no change.

I have a 20A breaker and 12 gauge wire for the circuit.

While I am not 100% certain (as I think a parking lot designer wired this house) I do not see that another GFCI is on that circuit.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and how to troubleshoot further or fix?

Thanks!

:censored:

See less See more
#2 ·
one possible solution may be the amount of devices run of the load side of the gfci. Keep in mind that the gfci is keeping track of the leakage current at every device downstream. If there's enough devices then the very small amounts at each one can add up to enough to trip the gfci. The gfci that it works with may not have as many plugs downstream as the one your attempting to use.

#3 · (Edited)
The whirlpool trips GFCI #1.
The whirlpool does not trip GFCI #2 somewhere else.
The whirlpool trips GFCI #3 that was substituted for GFCI #1.

Perhaps GFCI #2 was defective or maybe not quite as sensitive, or not properly installed, not tripping when it was supposed to.

I assume that the whirlpool power cord and the extension cord were 3 prong and the grounding that way did not have loose connections. If you have a ground fault and the only ground is through the power cord (no contact with nearby water pipes or the earth outside) and there is a loose connection in the ground, the GFCI will not trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.