GFCI Receptacle - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NE NC
Posts: 256
Rewards Points: 250
Default

GFCI Receptacle


Can an outside receptacle be protected by a GFCI on the inside of my garage or must the recep. outside be a GFCI aslo?

Advertisement

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,629
Rewards Points: 2,166
Default

GFCI Receptacle


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve View Post
Can an outside receptacle be protected by a GFCI on the inside of my garage or must the recep. outside be a GFCI aslo?
Receptacle outside can get its power from the LOAD side of your GFCI which is inside garage

Advertisement

hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

GFCI Receptacle


Remember when placing the GCFI that it protects itself and all in front of it in the circuit.

Lost a friend years ago who trusted GCFI house wiring and could not let go of his concrete wet saw. I am a big believer in investing in at least a basic portable GCFI for use with outdoor power tools, extension cords and so forth. They used to be expensive but are not anymore. Cheap insurance.


Last edited by user1007; 04-25-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added Photo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

GFCI Receptacle


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Remember when placing the GCFI that it protects itself and all in front of it in the circuit.

Lost a friend years ago who trusted GCFI house wiring and could not let go of his concrete wet saw. I am a big believer in investing in at least a basic portable GCFI for use with outdoor power tools, extension cords and so forth. They used to be expensive but are not anymore. Cheap insurance.

It protects itself and all after it, not what is in front.
Why would you trust a portable cord any more than a properly wired GFI receptacle or are you referring to using this at an unknown receptacle?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

GFCI Receptacle


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
It protects itself and all after it, not what is in front.
Why would you trust a portable cord any more than a properly wired GFI receptacle or are you referring to using this at an unknown receptacle?
Ooops. Wrong wording. Typed to fast. Glad you caught it!

I trust the portable because I do not know if the home I am working on has a properly wired GCFI protecting the circuit I am tapping so yes it is an unknown situation.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NE NC
Posts: 256
Rewards Points: 250
Default

GFCI Receptacle


OK, So a regular receptacle can be used on the exterior of my garage downstream from a GFCI receptacle on the interior of my garage and will be GFCI protected and will not violate code?
MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,047
Rewards Points: 2,892
Default

GFCI Receptacle


You just need the GFI protection. It does not matter where in the circuit it comes from. Portable GFI devices would not count towards this. It would need to be a GFI breaker or receptacle.

Advertisement

__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding GFCI receptacle outdoors Dale Gribble Electrical 2 03-21-2012 02:18 PM
Replacing receptacle with GFCI wiring problem braden Electrical 8 04-06-2011 09:32 AM
GFCI receptacle on GFCI circuit breaker thewoodguy Electrical 3 12-02-2010 02:37 PM
GFCI receptacle gets tripped by hallway light proofer Electrical 10 03-17-2008 08:29 PM
Bathroom Remodel GFCI Receptacle Lilshaving Electrical 4 02-24-2008 11:07 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts