DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   GFCI at recep or in panel as breaker (

JohnstownFlood 03-10-2011 10:10 AM

GFCI at recep or in panel as breaker
A new kitchen will have a single above-counter-in-backsplash duplex receptacle located where a countertop microwave oven (estimated at 1100W) will be located. The single-outlet circuit will be 20A.

Immediately to the R, the countertop ends at the refrigerator recess. A single duplex receptacle in the wall behind the fridge for powering it. Once again, one outlet circuit, 20A.

We know the single circuit for the MW must be GCFI protected per NEC 2008. May the GFCI protection be by means of a GCFI receptacle, with the breaker being a non-GFCI Square D HOM120 breaker? Receps are a lot less expensive than breakers.

How about the one for the fridge? It is down near the floor. Must that circuit be GFCI?

oleguy74 03-10-2011 11:01 AM

no on the gfci nedded.

Jim Port 03-10-2011 11:03 AM

Under the NEC only the receptacles that serve the countertop require GFI protection. This can be provided by a GFI breaker or GFI receptacle. The receptacle is much cheaper and easier to reset if it ever trips.

A receptacle behind the frig does not require GFI protection.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.