I am converting a small, 2nd floor bedroom in my 1921 home into a home office. Because we had some minor water damage, I have removed the majority of the ceiling and found that the room has knob and tube wiring. Most of the house has upgraded wiring, but knew there were portinos that still had knob and tube wiring hooked up.
My question is whether I need to replace that wiring in order to be able to use 3-prong outlets or if I can simply replace the recepticals with GFCI. We will have several pieces of computer equipment in the room and probably a small LCD television.
Is this safe, or will I need to run new wiring into the room.
Thanks for the help.
For modern office equipment you really should consider replacing that k+t wiring with some new stuff.
While it can be Code complaint to use a GFCI device on ungrounded circuits, most of your surge suppressors will need a real equipment grounding conductor to properly operate.
The use of a GFCI is for protection of personnel (humans), it does little for protection of your expensive equipment.
I'd say it's a no-brainer, since you already have the area opened up. Granted, you'd have to open even more to track all the wiring down, but when has one of these projects ever gone according to plan? K&T is usually ok if undisturbed, but keep in mind also that those circuits were installed for the needs of another era.
We use much more electricity in any given room of the house these days.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.