Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #1

Share |

GFCI Question

I'm trying to fully wrap my mind around the requirements for GFCI outlets or breakers for different circuits in a basement, count yI'm in uses the 2005 NEC code.

Background - 8 month old house, basement initially unfinished containing these GFCI outlets - 1 20 amp GFCI outlet at the panel box, 1 15 amp GFCI outlet on a wall, 1 20 amp outlet in the bathroom (OK, I lied there was 1 finished room!). Also there is a 15 amp service outlet at the airhandler which might be GFCI if it is on the outside outlet circuit.

Then other stuff not GFCI - 1 single socket outlet for the sump pump, a washer and dryer hookup, the airhandler, the water heater. Also a 240V / 50 amp RV circuit with the box outside of course. That last one just occured to me, I haven't examined the breaker closely but I'm thinking it is not GFCI.

I finished about 1/2 the basement and had an electrician do the wiring, none of the new stuff is GFCI of course because now it is in finished space. As part of the job I had him pull back the supply wire to the RV outlet and use it for a small 6 slot sub panel for my shop then install a 50 amp double pole breaker and run new wire to the RV outlet. Eventually I'll install a couple of circuits in the workshop which is unfinished space. What is required to be GFCI? For a string of 15 or 20 amp convenience outlets I have no problem making those GFCI, required or not I'd do it anyway. But what about say a 240V air compressor or table saw? Why isn't the dryer circuit GFCI if it was in unfinished space originally?

Also, as part of the work the electrician did there were about 16 outlets I sprinkled around the finished space. 2 of those were on the back side of the wall so they are actually in the unfinished workshop. Why shouldn't those have been required to be GFCI? Or did the inspector just miss it, I didn't think of it till just now...

Mdbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

GFCI Question

Exceptions:receptacles that aren't readily accessible, a single or duplex receptacle for 2 appliances located in a dedicated space, that in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another. The ground-fault requirement is for 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles general purpose if you will. Your shop receptacles should be but he may have those protected by the other gfi's. This should give you a basic idea. This requirement is for personnel safety. Your shop equipment is 240 so it doesn't apply.

Last edited by wirenut1110; 06-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

GFCI Question

So unplugging the shopvac merits personal safety protection but unplugging the dryer does not, or a 240V table saw for that matter. I understand the 2008 code revision (which doesn't apply here yet) removes the exception for single dedicated outlets for things like sump pumps and refrigerators. Are the 240V shop circuits still not applicable as far as GFCI goes?

Can't say it makes much sense to me logically yet
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #4

GFCI Question

No need to GFCI the table saw or air compressor. They're essentially dedicated receptacles, and do not require GFCI protection since they don't meet the code's 125 volt, single phase, 15 or 20 amp requirement.

You can also have a single recep for a reasonably non-movable appliance or piece of equipment (such as a fridge), or a duplex recep for two such appliances...With no GFCI protection.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

GFCI Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdbuilder View Post
Are the 240V shop circuits still not applicable as far as GFCI goes?
That's correct. It's not so much about plugging or unplugging as much as it is thta likely someone is handling something while in use, such as your shop vac sucking up water.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #6

GFCI Question

Thank you, that makes slightly more sense .

I don't actually have anything at the moment to use the panel for, it's a future expansion type of deal.

Twas pricey to have the finished side wired, the sub panel was a bargain @ $300 I thought. By the time the electrician paid for the panel, the 50 amp dual breaker and filled the rest of the slots with a combo of 20 amp singles and 20 amp single / tandems plus a few feet of wire to hook up the RV outlet again there can't have been much profit left. OTOH, he was here already so only an extra hour or whatever...
Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Electrician

GFCI Question

dont get use to the exceptions, 2008 nec pretty much eliminates them all....

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote