Gfci Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gfci question

I have a kitchen outlet that needs a gfci receptacle the regular outlet has 1 hot wire and 3 common (white) wires connected to it. Is the proper way to connect white wires by pig tailing to the line terminal on gfci silver terminal?

Advertisement

tommyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Gfci question

Something is not right with that set up.
Can you take a pic so we can better understand what might be there.

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Gfci question

I'm not able to take a picture now it is the electrical outlet on counter we have always had the coffee pot plugged into. As long as I have lived there 5 years, it has been that way no breaker trips or anything. Next to it is a switch for garbage disposal, it is not connected to the outlet. The 3 common wires go out the box somewhere. Selling this house and expect they will want gfci's there.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Gfci question

The same wires connectd to the existing receptacle should be connected to the GFCI load terminals if it is a dead end receptacle(no other receps downstream).
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

Gfci question

How can I tell if it is a dead end terminal?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Gfci question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
The same wires connectd to the existing receptacle should be connected to the GFCI load terminals if it is a dead end receptacle(no other receps downstream).
You mean GFCI line terminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd78 View Post
The 3 common wires go out the box somewhere. Selling this house and expect they will want gfci's there.
THe most obvious sign of a dead end is having only one cable or set of wires coming into the box; no wires to continue on (daisy chain) to more receptacles downstream.

It will always work if you connect up the GFCI the same way the previous receptacle was connected up.

Optional, in some cases if there is a receptacle(s) downstream, they can receive GFCI protection from this one GFCI receptacle unit if the wires (both hot and neutral) for it (them) are connected to this GFCI load terminals.

It can be a little complicated figuring out which is the incoming power and which is the wiring continuing downstream to other receptacles. A voltmeter would help.

Sometimes (again needing analysis, for example where multiwire branch circuits are found) it is not practical to use the load terminals and continue GFCI protection from this GFCI unit to additional receptacles downstream. Installing additional GFCI receptacles at other locations desiring GFCI protection will work in these cases.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-25-2011 at 08:59 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
brric (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Gfci question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You mean GFCI line terminals.

It will work if you connect up the GFCI the same way the previous receptacle was connected up.

Optional, in some cases if there is a receptacle(s) downstream, they can receive GFCI protection from this one GFCI receptacle unit if the wires (both hot and neutral) for it (them) are connected to this GFCI load terminals.

It can be a little complicated figuring out which is the incoming power and which is the wiring continuing downstream to other receptacles. A voltmeter would help.
Yes, I did mean line terminals, thanks.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #8

Gfci question

I will connect it the way they are in the box currently to the line terminals on GfCI and test with a lamp and if its right power will go off to lamp when I press test button and if it doesn't go off I need to use the load terminals?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 79

Gfci question

load terminals are for downstream loads if any. use only line terminals if no other recpts. connected. also sounds like a lot of shared neutrals in this box. where do they go?
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Gfci question

Don't know , i have never had a problem with the set up will connect like it says to do here I appreciate the replies. I will see how i do.

Advertisement