Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2004, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

GFCI problem

I have a tester that is used to check that a receptical is wired properly and a button on it to "trip" a GFCI to make sure it is working properly. I used it in my daughter's room to check the outlet and in doing so i "tripped" a GFCI somewhere which shut off the electrical to her room. There is no GFCI anywhere near her room. I checked the breakers to make sure they weren't faulty and they all work. I have a feeling that the previous owners hid a GFCI somewhere, but i have no idea where. Is there any way to locate it other than banging holes in the walls?
Any ideas would be great.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

GFCI problem

You shouldn't have to bang any holes! You just need to find that GFI. It should not be burried anywhere. Did you look outside or in the garage?

One other thing it could be. Are the wires just pushed into the holes in the back of the receptacles? There is a very common problem that the connection goes bad at these holes. By checking the receptacle you may have inadvertantly caused the connection to fail. Try to find the first recpetacle on that circuit and see if the wires have power.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #3

GFCI problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
You shouldn't have to bang any holes! You just need to find that GFI. It should not be burried anywhere. Did you look outside or in the garage?

One other thing it could be. Are the wires just pushed into the holes in the back of the receptacles? There is a very common problem that the connection goes bad at these holes. By checking the receptacle you may have inadvertantly caused the connection to fail. Try to find the first recpetacle on that circuit and see if the wires have power.
i'll try that, i have found other electrical boxes hidden behind new sheetrock, that's why i thought the previous owners might have hidden this one.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

GFCI problem

Been there. Good luck!