Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #1

Share |

GFCI Power Strip

I recently purchased a power strip with a GFCI plug in (the test reset buttons on the plug), for use with my fish aquarium. Only problem is that I live in an older house with two prong outlets. So I did what I do with all my electronics, I just snapped the third plug off. But now I'm not sure if that was such a good idea. Will the GFCI unit still work without the third plug? I'm assuming so because none of the equipment I plug into the power strip has a third plug, so any stray voltage wouldn't be picked up through the ground wire anyways... right? I have to have some kind of safety net here, saltwater is extremely conductive, and the tank is loaded with electrical devices, some are even submersible. If any of the insulation were to fail and the GFCI didn't work I'm guessing I would probably have a fire on my hands. You're advice is greatly appreciated.
Barsness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

GFCI Power Strip

Your fine. I admit it wasn't smart cutting off the ground prong but its alright. The GFCI doesn't only work on its ground. It works from phase to phase. So hot to neutral . That is why if you have an older home with two prong outlets and no ground present you can only replace that outlet with either another two prong outlet or a GFCI outlet
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #3

GFCI Power Strip

A better option is to install a GFCI outlet in the wall & label
"No ground present"

Also make sure that the strip isn't near the tank
Any cords leading to the tank should have a drip loop so water wil not enter the power strip

Keep an eye out for sale creep
Un-used plugs slots should be covered w/child proof cap to prevent corrosion

There was one picture on a forum where the power strip caught fure -GFCI protected
The GFCI never kicked off
The fire was starting to get bad, but was put out when the acrylic aquarium was melted (no joke)

I have a 165g setup - have fun
I use multiple GFCI circuits for my equipment
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #4

GFCI Power Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsness View Post
Only problem is that I live in an older house with two prong outlets. So I did what I do with all my electronics, I just snapped the third plug off. But now I'm not sure if that was such a good idea.
That is the second most stupid thing I have read on this forum this week. How could you destroy the cords on your electronic equipment. You could have used adapters and GFCI's. But to permanently ruin a perfectly good and grounded plug and cord? If you ever move or update your electrical system you're screwed. Because now your equipment has no ground.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #5

GFCI Power Strip

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated. Oh, and I also "appreciate" the level of concern some of you have for my electronics, even if you feel the need to insult me in the process (I was well aware when I removed the ground plug that it wouldn't be coming back).
Barsness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci, power strip