Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Share |

GFCI outlets on other side of wall

I am putting outlets in a bedroom wall. On the other side of the wall is a kitchen with a sink against the shared wall. I was reading that the NEC said GFCI outlets required within 6' of a sink. Does this mean like a 6' spherical radius of the sink regardless of walls or other things in-between?

Also are there any special requirements for running the romex across the drain pipe of the sink? The pipe runs between the vertical 2x4 wall studs, and I have 3/4" holes drilled in the studs on each side of the pipe. I was thinking about just wrapping a section of the pipe in electrical tape so there is no abrasive surface against the romex, and even then the romex will be secured with plenty of staples and clamps inside the boxes, so I cant imagine the romex moving at all once the walls are up.

Tetranitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Electrician

In the US, receptacles that serve the kitchen countertops require GFCI protection. Within 6 foot of a kitchen sink is irrelevant. Are you working on the kitchen side? Or just the bedroom side?

No problem with the romex going around the drain pipe. No added protection is required either.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
I=E/R

6' along the wall not through the wall.
You don't have to do anything with the cable and pipe.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Electrician

Another note, kitchen small appliance circuits are the ones that serve the kitchen countertops and cannot serve receptacles in bedrooms. The bedrooms would also require arc-fault protection (breakers).

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
In the US, receptacles that serve the kitchen countertops require GFCI protection. Within 6 foot of a kitchen sink is irrelevant. Are you working on the kitchen side? Or just the bedroom side?

No problem with the romex going around the drain pipe. No added protection is required either.

It is on the bedroom side. I thought GFCI outlets on the other side of a wall would be strange, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks a million!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Another note, kitchen small appliance circuits are the ones that serve the kitchen countertops and cannot serve receptacles in bedrooms. The bedrooms would also require arc-fault protection (breakers).

I am going to make the bedroom a completely independent circuit. The wiring in the house is really old, and the majority of this floor is on just two 15 A breakers. I am installing 4 two socket outlets along with an overhead light in my room on a independent circuit connected to a 20A breaker.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #7

The GFCI requirement is for receptacles near the sink (or other applicable areas) for use there, not for all receptacles that just happen to be installed near the sink but facgin the otherside of the wall.

(The AFCI requirement is for receptacles in the bedroom (or other applicable rooms) for use there, not for all receptacles that just happened to be installed near the bedroom but facing the other side of the wall).
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The GFCI requirement is for receptacles near the sink (or other applicable areas) for use there, not for all receptacles that just happen to be installed near the sink but facgin the otherside of the wall.

The GFI requirement is for all countertop receptacles, not just near the sink. Receptacles in another room adjacent to the kitchen would not require the GFI protection.

Tags
gfci, nec, romex, sink, wall