DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GFCI outlets or breakers?

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
In a new garage, is it preferred to use GFCI breakers for my outlet circuits, or GFCI outlets?

#10 ·
As stated, you can install one GFCI outlet at the first outlet and feed other "regular" outlets from that outlet and they would be protected.

-or-

Use a GFCI breaker.

Personally I prefer to use a GFCI breaker when many outlets are on the circuit. The first thing people do when they lose power to an outlet is go and check the breaker panel. It can be a pain to search for that one outlet which protects all the other outlets. Or someone may have placed a cabinet in front of that outlet, etc.

With a bathroom and just one GFCI outlet, then it is obvious there is a GFCI outlet there, so in that case I would prefer a GFCI outlet.

#11 ·
Yes, is the answer for your first paragraph, and the way 90% of electricians would do it.

It's totally up to you regarding breakers vs receptacles. GFCI recepts are very easy to recognize, and if you install it you will know where it is and what it protects. Plus you will save money. Your call.

#19 ·
I have to disagree, on this particular point. I have seen several types of motor loads trip a GFCI. It doesn't happen often, that's why it's called a nuisance trip. A fridge, a dentist's chair, and a large venthood that was accidentally wired on a GFCI. I have only witnessed it with induction motors, never universal type motors.

These devices were not defective but still tripped the GFCI.

#24 · (Edited)
correction

Motor winding to motor shell.

4 mA at 120v is 30 kiloohm resistance or reactance.
At 60 Hz this is .09 uF.
900' of romex could have this much capacitance, wire to wire or wire to ground.

Some washing machines only trip the GFI on the agitator part of the wash cycle, not the draining part. The agitating part suddenly pulls more current as the clutch engages.

This link
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7088206.html
may or may not show the improvements you can expect for this gadgets.

BTW, according to a formula in UL1436, 4 mA should take a maximum of 10 seconds to trip. From the same formula, 1.1 mA could take one minute to trip, but there might be built-in circuitry to prevent the thing from responding to current differences this small.

The formula is on page 8 in the middle.
http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/instructions/61-164-165_instructions_v4.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.