Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

GFCI outlets...

Around my kitchen counters there are about 12 outlets but only one is a GFCI protected outlet. The breaker labeled "Kit. Rec." is not a GFCI protected breaker.

As long as the GFCI outlet is the first in line to the breaker then all of the outlets are protected??? Is this correct?

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Your Facilities Guy!

GFCI outlets...

Not necessarily, it depends if the outlet is wired in series or in parallel. The outlets downstream from the must be feed from the appropriate terminal on the GFI most gfi breakers are labeled well if yours is not find a wire diagram online sand it should tell you the load and line terminals. Remember to wire through the outlet

Donnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

GFCI outlets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnig View Post
Not necessarily, it depends if the outlet is wired in series or in parallel. The outlets downstream from the must be feed from the appropriate terminal on the GFI most gfi breakers are labeled well if yours is not find a wire diagram online sand it should tell you the load and line terminals. Remember to wire through the outlet
All receptacles are wired in parallel never in series. The GFCI has line terminals (power from breaker panel) and load terminals (used to GFCI protect down stream receptacles. To test to see if the other receptacles are protected, push the test button on the GFCI. The GFCI receptacel and properly wired down steam receptacles now should be dead. Test with a lamp. If any receptacles still work, they are not connected to the load terminals of that GFCI.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

GFCI outlets...

from breaker to gfci is line side.load side goes to the rest of the outlets on that ckt.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

GFCI outlets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
All receptacles are wired in parallel never in series. The GFCI has line terminals (power from breaker panel) and load terminals (used to GFCI protect down stream receptacles. To test to see if the other receptacles are protected, push the test button on the GFCI. The GFCI receptacel and properly wired down steam receptacles now should be dead. Test with a lamp. If any receptacles still work, they are not connected to the load terminals of that GFCI.
My next question is whether this same practice can be used for two separate bathrooms. Better way of wording this... Can TWO bathrooms with a total of 4 receptacles be on the same breaker and protected by one GFCI outlet. They are set up with the GFCI in 2nd bathroom feeding the three outlets in the master bathroom which has no GFCI's in it.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

GFCI outlets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve View Post
My next question is whether this same practice can be used for two separate bathrooms. Better way of wording this... Can TWO bathrooms with a total of 4 receptacles be on the same breaker and protected by one GFCI outlet. They are set up with the GFCI in 2nd bathroom feeding the three outlets in the master bathroom which has no GFCI's in it.
Yes they can. But current code requires that if the circuit is shared by the receptacles in 2 baths, nothing else can be on that circuit. That means the lights or fans must not share that circuit.

I used to live in a house built in 1978 that the receptacles in 3 baths and 2 outside receptacles were on one GFCI breaker. No GFCI in the kitchen. Not sure that was code even then
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

GFCI outlets...

Quote:
Yes they can. But current code requires that if the circuit is shared by the receptacles in 2 baths, nothing else can be on that circuit. That means the lights or fans must not share that circuit.

I used to live in a house built in 1978 that the receptacles in 3 baths and 2 outside receptacles were on one GFCI breaker. No GFCI in the kitchen. Not sure that was code even then
Thanks RJ
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

GFCI outlets...

Quote:
That's the way my house is wired. When there is a wind blown rain storm sometimes my GFI trips.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

GFCI outlets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
That's the way my house is wired. When there is a wind blown rain storm sometimes my GFI trips.
Check the covers and gaskets on the outside receptacle covers, you are getting moisture into the receptacles or wiring.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Electrician

GFCI outlets...

Check for nicks in the wiring also. I had outside recepts tripping the GFCI breaker during rain storms before I found and fixed them.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote