GFCI Outlet/Switch/fixture Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI Outlet/Switch/fixture problem

Ok.. I'm assuming this is multiple problems.. However, I'll start from the beginning. A few years ago, the light in our bathroom stopped working.. Replaced the bulb and nothing.. Then had someone put a new switch in, nothing... Had an electrician come in, and he stated the fixture was bad, and wired up a cheap lil fixture to get us by, and it worked great. My uncle then wired in a new, nicer fixture (he's a certified electrician). This fixture has since, stopped working again... replaced the bulbs, nothin..

Also, the GFCI outlets next to the switch, the "RESET" button is tripped and when we press it, it does not click and allow the outlet to work. These were working while the original fixture stopped working, which is why I think they're separate issues..

The breaker on the fuse box did not trip. Thinking about getting another fixture and wiring it up to see if it fixes the problem, but this is obviously going to get costly if once every couple years we gotta replace it now..

Advertisement

Drkvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Try turning the breaker off, then back on. Then try resetting the GFCI.

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Possibly the fixture is powered off the load side of the GFCI
So if the GFCI is dead, the fixture is dead
Some breakers do not appear to be tripped even when they are
So as stated try turning it off, then back on
Then try to reset the GFCI
Do you have another GFCI that you can use to test ?
I've had 3 dead in about 12 years between 2 houses
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Try turning the breaker off, then back on. Then try resetting the GFCI.

Have tried that.. the GFCI won't reset.. Not to mention that breaker for some odd reason, also controls the hallway and a bedroom right next to the bathroom..

As for the other gentleman's advice about the load side, the GFCI has been popped longer than the light has been out.. We thought that too, but it wasn't popped when the 1st fixture went out, it popped later..
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #5

Another thing to try is turning off every breaker, then turning them all back on. Then again try resetting the GFCI. That is in case another breaker in fact controls this circuit and it is tripped. (Could save a lot of work if you are mistaken as to which breaker controls this circuit.)

Then other than that, a common problem is a loose connection in an outlet. Wires will be run from outlet to outlet. One wire can come loose inside an outlet, then all the outlets downstream from there stop working.

If you are SURE that breaker controls the GFCI, then turn it off and see what all stops working. What is no longer working. (Identify all the outlets on that circuit.)

Or if you know this, then check the outlets which are still working along with those which have stopped working. See if a wire is loose somewhere.

If there is attic access above this, you may be able to see where the wires run and what goes to what. (More clues!)
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Another thing to try is turning off every breaker, then turning them all back on. Then again try resetting the GFCI. That is in case another breaker in fact controls this circuit and it is tripped. (Could save a lot of work if you are mistaken as to which breaker controls this circuit.)

Then other than that, a common problem is a loose connection in an outlet. Wires will be run from outlet to outlet. One wire can come loose inside an outlet, then all the outlets downstream from there stop working.

If you are SURE that breaker controls the GFCI, then turn it off and see what all stops working. What is no longer working. (Identify all the outlets on that circuit.)

Or if you know this, then check the outlets which are still working along with those which have stopped working. See if a wire is loose somewhere.

If there is attic access above this, you may be able to see where the wires run and what goes to what. (More clues!)
Bought a new GFCI.. I'm more worried about the light.. Knowing that the GFCI has been tripped since before the light stopped working, I can only assume that 1 has nothing to do with the other..
Old 12-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkvamp View Post
Bought a new GFCI.. I'm more worried about the light.. Knowing that the GFCI has been tripped since before the light stopped working, I can only assume that 1 has nothing to do with the other..
Oops! My bad...

I reread your post and agree that they can be two separate problems!

I would still do everything I said above for the GFCI problem.

As to the light fixture, I would suggest checking the connections there. Also the switch. Switches can go bad.

Now for an electrician, this would be easy. They would use test equipment to track down the problems. But I don't suppose you have any electrical test equipment?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkvamp View Post
Ok.. I'm assuming this is multiple problems.. However, I'll start from the beginning. A few years ago, the light in our bathroom stopped working.. Replaced the bulb and nothing.. Then had someone put a new switch in, nothing... Had an electrician come in, and he stated the fixture was bad, and wired up a cheap lil fixture to get us by, and it worked great. My uncle then wired in a new, nicer fixture (he's a certified electrician). This fixture has since, stopped working again... replaced the bulbs, nothin..

Also, the GFCI outlets next to the switch, the "RESET" button is tripped and when we press it, it does not click and allow the outlet to work. These were working while the original fixture stopped working, which is why I think they're separate issues..

The breaker on the fuse box did not trip. Thinking about getting another fixture and wiring it up to see if it fixes the problem, but this is obviously going to get costly if once every couple years we gotta replace it now..
I think you have a different issue. If the GFCI is not tripped pushing the reset button won't make it click or anything.

if the light is powered downstream of the gfci the problem could be before it.

The light shouldn't be wired from the load side of the GFCI, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

I assume the breaker for the circuit isn't tripped look for loose wires feeding the gfci. the light could be tied in at the gfci box to the feed side. then both would quit at the same time if whatever is feeding gets disconnected or whatever.
smeric28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeric28 View Post
The light shouldn't be wired from the load side of the GFCI
Why not?

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote