Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI outlet failed in a rain storm, now has no power!

During a recent rain and wind storm my outdoor GFCI outlet tripped, and the holiday lights plugged in went out. Once the rain subsided I attempted to reset the tripped outlet. It would reset for a few seconds then trip again. I unplugged at cords attached to this outlet and the other outlet in the circuit, still unable to reset. The next day the reset button would not stay in at all, unable to reset for a even a few seconds. During all of this the breaker did not trip, however I had turned it off and on again just to make sure.
Yesterday I purchased and installed a new GFCI outlet, as well as replaced the other outlet in the circuit, turning the breaker back on the outlet is still not working. I attempted to power only the 'line' side of the GFCI, but there is no power to the outlet, and the breaker has still not tripped.

I know that these are the only two outlets on this circuit, as I was present for the building of the house. The wiring to both outlets looks OK, no water in the box, no burning of the wires. I've replaced everything I can think of. But there is no power to the outlet. I wired each outlet just as the previous ones had been, I was very meticulous of this!

What else can I try? Is it possible the breaker is blown, even though it did not trip? * *Help please!!!!

Last edited by Kaybee33; 12-28-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Kaybee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I'm a little confused, first problem was with reseting, but that has been overshadowed with the new problem of no work new GFI. Is this correct?

do you have a multimeter? we need to first check that the breaker has power, then the wire at new GFI, I suspect that one of these will be dead.

Just to be sure the new GFI is first on the circuit correct? and the new GFI has the incoming power connected to the line terminals? the other outlet can be protect form the load terminals.

I'm going to guess that the rain damaged one or both of the lights plugged, or that the GFI finally gave up the ghost.

Last edited by Saturday Cowboy; 12-28-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Thanks saturday cowboy,
Initially the GFCI would not reset, I read that this could be a problem with the outlet itself, so therefore I replaced it with a new GFCI. Now that the new outlet is hooked up, there is seemingly no power coming to the outlet. It has a LED light on it that does not light and the reset button cannot be depressed.
I do not have a meter to check the line. The GFCI is the first outlet in the run, and I tried to remove the load line connected and see if the outlet would work with just line coming from the panel, this also wouldn't work.
So I guess I am wondering could the breaker be blown, even thought it never tripped? Could this have happened because I tried to reset the old GFCI put let many times, and the reset button continually popped?
Or is there some other trick that I could be missing?
There is nothing plugged in to either outlet at the moment, used a lamp to test the put let. The Christmas lights that were plugged in are working find in a separate outlet.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

It sounds like you are at a decision point....hire an electrician or purchase a tool to identify presence of voltage. I agree with the advise of Saturday Cowboy: you need to determine if there is voltage at the supply wire.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

Flip the breaker all the way to off and then back on. Sometimes the breaker trips and you can't tell by the position of the handle.

If the old GFCI got waterlogged and still under power, chances are that it is damaged, but you might uninstall it, let it dry out for a week, and then see if it works again.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Thanks all! As I am lost at this point, I have an electrician coming to look at the problem. I'm pretty sure there is no power coming from the main panel, but not sure if it is the breaker or the line itself. Either way I do not feel qualified to do anything with the main panel.
I'll let you know the problem when I find out.

Thanks again for your advice!