Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

GFCI outlet and breaker question

I have all GFCI outlets in bathrooms and kitchen, however the covers I have for the four outlets that also have separate light switches next to them are not compatible. I would like to put a GFCI breaker on to be able to switch out the four GFCI outlets that offend my covers for regular outlets but still maintain GFCI protection as well as keep the remaining GFCI outlets along the counter that stand alone. We have a Square D panel, can this be done?

danette32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danette32
I have all GFCI outlets in bathrooms and kitchen, however the covers I have for the four outlets that also have separate light switches next to them are not compatible. I would like to put a GFCI breaker on to be able to switch out the four GFCI outlets that offend my covers for regular outlets but still maintain GFCI protection as well as keep the remaining GFCI outlets along the counter that stand alone. We have a Square D panel, can this be done?
It could but chances are you can find plates for what ever combination you have. How about uploading a picture and we can find them for you.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

You could do that. It would be much easier to just replace the covers though! Pretty much every possible device combination is available, just some more commonly than others. If you can't find covers with the right device arrangement, then you could install decora switches (the same rectangular opening as the GFCI receptacles) or use decora plates and put decora-to-regular-switch filler plates in them. Like these: http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/3...DECORA-INSERTS
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 30

It depends on how each circuit is split up in those rooms,id just figure how the kitchen plugs are fed.
If you have a couple of them in series with each other you could protect both of them off 1 tp gfi,it all depends on how things are wired up.
Last time I looked regular sq-d homeline gfi breakers were in the $40.00 range,If you have a qo panel it will be more.
And if you start talking arc fault gfi breakers,youll really be in for sticker shock.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 92

The only time that I would change out from GFCI outlets to breakers, is in the case as my situation with my Kitchen, in that we have a junction box in the joist bay of our basement, feeding a group of outlets that are split right now across two sides of the Kitchen. It was easier doing that, vs. tearing apart the walls.

If you do not like the decora style for the bath & Kitchen, I would say that is your choice. But personally, it works, I would leave it alone. Especially if they wired the circuit as a multi-wire branch circuit in the Kitchen, you will pretty quickly find a problem with changing over to a GFCI breaker on that circuit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for the info and the help! These outlets were installed 3 years ago and I have been searching for alternative covers since then. I bought for the entire house at Van Dykes Restorers out of Mitchell, SD and they do not make the covers I need. I just wanted to make sure that we would not blow the house up. It sounds like if I have a trip some where it may take me going to the basement to flip the breaker as opposed to hitting the reset button on the outlet. Thank you again!!!!

danette32 is offline   Reply With Quote