Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

GFCI Outlet

Well, I suppose now is the time to install one of the GFCI outlets in the bathroom when I am installing the new outlet, to protect everything and keep it all code compliment. (no GFCI outlets in 1963)

Do you just install one GFCI on the branch circuit for the bathroom (I seem to remember that you just install one for the entire circuit)? Which position does it need to be in (last outlet on the circuit?)

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

GFCI Outlet

Here on long Island you must have a separate 20Amp circuit just for the bath room GFCI. I would assume that its that way all over the U.S.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

GFCI Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Well, I suppose now is the time to install one of the GFCI outlets in the bathroom when I am installing the new outlet, to protect everything and keep it all code compliment. (no GFCI outlets in 1963)

Do you just install one GFCI on the branch circuit for the bathroom (I seem to remember that you just install one for the entire circuit)? Which position does it need to be in (last outlet on the circuit?)

Thanks
Jamie
If you have an outlet already in your bathroom just instal the GFCI in place of that outlet. Power goes on the line. If there are more than one outlets in the bathroom hit the outlet with the power first. The second set of wires that go to the other outlet get installed on the LOAD of the GFCI
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
DIY'er

GFCI Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Here on long Island you must have a separate 20Amp circuit just for the bath room GFCI. I would assume that its that way all over the U.S.
Yes, I do have a dedicated 20A for the bathroom already, so that is not a problem.
Thanks
Jamie
Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
DIY'er

GFCI Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSilanskas View Post
If you have an outlet already in your bathroom just instal the GFCI in place of that outlet. Power goes on the line. If there are more than one outlets in the bathroom hit the outlet with the power first. The second set of wires that go to the other outlet get installed on the LOAD of the GFCI
So as long as I install it in as the very first item on the circuit, then everything is automatically protected? (assuming I wire the other outlets off the other side of the gfci outlet as you said)

Thanks
Jamie
Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

GFCI Outlet

(Using the 2005 NEC...right off I don't know if the '08 code is the same, but I think it is) Only the receptacles are required to be GFCI protected, The lights don't have to be. Take that into consideration when wiring.

Everything connected to the load side (downstream) will be GFCI protected, anything connected before or at the line side won't be (upstream).

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

GFCI Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
(Using the 2005 NEC...right off I don't know if the '08 code is the same, but I think it is) Only the receptacles are required to be GFCI protected, The lights don't have to be. Take that into consideration when wiring.

Everything connected to the load side (downstream) will be GFCI protected, anything connected before or at the line side won't be (upstream).
yes your correct, I forgot to write Receptacles. Thanks for the clarification.BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #8

GFCI Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post

Yes you are right only the outlet needs to be GFCI protected.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #9

GFCI Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
So as long as I install it in as the very first item on the circuit, then everything is automatically protected? (assuming I wire the other outlets off the other side of the gfci outlet as you said)

Thanks
Jamie
Yes that is correct but if the lights are also coming from that outlet you want to make sure they are on the line side of the GFCI. Because if the GFCI trips you dont want to be left in the dark