Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

GFCI Outlet


My microwave is on the counter next to the sink. It is plugged into a GFCI outlet. Several days ago while cleaning the water on the counter, my wife got a shock. The GFCI did not shut down. I immediately replaced it. Today my wife again got a shock. The outlet did shut down. I called the company. They said that the unit should shut down before getting a shock. I would appreciate any insight into this problem.

thanks

daniell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,871
Rewards Points: 2,138
Default

GFCI Outlet


Did she get a shock from the microwave?

This should be moved to the electrical section.

__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

GFCI Outlet


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Did she get a shock from the microwave?

This should be moved to the electrical section.
The wet counter near the microwave. Only happens when the microwave is plugged in and the counter is wet.
daniell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: western Ny
Posts: 1,248
Rewards Points: 510
Default

GFCI Outlet


The shock she is getting may not exceed the trip threshhold for the GFCI. Sounds like the microwave has a small current leak. When she gets the shock, where is her other hand? Is she touching something else. To get a shock, current needs to flow somewhere to complete the circuit.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,565
Rewards Points: 1,028
Default

GFCI Outlet


Quote:
Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
The wet counter near the microwave. Only happens when the microwave is plugged in and the counter is wet.



Is this a 2 wire system,sounds like she's the better path to ground with a wet counter.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,645
Rewards Points: 2,326
Default

GFCI Outlet


Use the test button on your GFI and make sure it's wired and working properly. Is there a chance this is a static electric shock.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
joecaption (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Member
 
PoleCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,476
Rewards Points: 634
Default

GFCI Outlet


Have a good look at the chord for cracks or knicks in the insulation.

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bathroom GFCI Outlet trouble RyG1357 Electrical 3 08-20-2011 03:40 PM
Changing Two Gang Outlet to Three Gang Outlet vbullinger Electrical 9 01-10-2011 05:13 PM
Porch outlet, and livingroom on bathroom GFCI circuit? Is that uncommon? 211 Electrical 5 01-06-2011 02:13 PM
GFCI outlet failed in a rain storm, now has no power! Kaybee33 Electrical 5 12-28-2010 05:38 PM
Replacing outlet to new GFCI - Wall switch Protonix Electrical 13 04-09-2009 08:36 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.