GFCI And Multiwire Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI and multiwire outlets

I am looking to replace some outlets in an older home with GFCI's. As I turned off the power and opened the outlet I realized I had a multiwire system (white-ground on left, black-hot to one circuit on bottom right, red-hot to second circuit on top right, bare-ground connected to the metal box). I checked each with my Fluke to verify this and that they were seperate circuits. I have two outlets next to the sink I want to replace. One has only the wiring coming in, but still has both hots connected (is this the end of the line?). The other has wiring (4 wire) in and seperate wiring out. All wires (white, black, red, bare) are wire nutted together in the box to a third wire which then comes to the outlet as described above. Is there any way I can replace these with GFCI's?

Advertisement

marktd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Simplest way to do this is to replace the two breakers with a GFCI double pole breaker... but they're not cheap.

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,550

If this is a kitchen in Canada the ONLY way is to use a GFCI double pole breaker unless you want to pull a new #12 cable and make this a 20 amp GFCI T slot receptacle.

You could always just leave it. It is grandfathered and is not required to be changed.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

This is in Michigan, but my daughter will live there so just thought it might be safer. For the double pole breaker do I pull the two seperate breakers installed today and then replace them with one double pole? Also if the current two breakers are 15 amp what amperage should I replace them with? I haven't purchased anything this specific yet and want to only hit Lowe's once if possible.
marktd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,550

You need to replace the two separate breakers with a double pole 15 amp breaker. It is possible the current breaker is a double pole 15 and not two singles.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote