Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gfci in a masonry wall

i am attempting to upgrade our current outlet in the bathroom with a GFCI. sounds simple so far? keep reading.

the current layout has an old wall sconce with an outlet (device to be replaced) wired into a junction box that is grouted into a masony wall. the wall is the "wet" wall of the bathroom and backs up to the kitchen. i bought the correct GFCI device to simply rewire in the old wall sconce junction box but the box is too small to fit the outlet.

basically it looks like i need to chip out the old junction box from the wall attempting to not disturb the plaster finish too much. how can i do this? how can i remove the old metal juntion box and install a new one? i have a lot of hand tools and a fair amount of power tools to do the job. of course i don't want to take a sledge hammer to it.

quite simply, how can i "easily" remove a hole in a masonry wall and install a new junction box?

thanks

captain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Gfci in a masonry wall

Quote:
how can i "easily" remove a hole in a masonry wall and install a new junction box?
Slowly and carefully. Hopefully it's doesn't have any brackets that are plastered over. Sometimes they will just pull straight out when tou chip away the surrounding plaster or grout.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gfci in a masonry wall

Can you install another box somewhere else in the bathroom & then daisy chain the old box off the load size of the GFCI?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Gfci in a masonry wall

Probably too late to help, but why not buy a GFCI breaker, assuming the upstream daisy chain won't work? Even $50 sounds cheap to me compared with the time it took me the one time I upsized a box in a concrete wall.
philS is offline   Reply With Quote