GFCI Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI Light

I recently removed wiring in conduit that hung on the bottom of the joist in my basement so I could feed the circuits that were fed with romex stapled inbetween the joists. After completing I noticed that the light on my GFCI were on in the circuits that were fed. The recepticles still work but the test button is stuck in and the reset button doesn't do anything. I bought a GFCI tester to see if it was wired wrong but it says that everything is ok. I checked the connections in the junction boxes in the basement and made sure they were all ok. I am basically at a loss and don't know what else to do other than see if replacing the GFCI outlets help. There are two seperate circuits that both have the same issue so I have a hard time believing it is a bad outlet. Any help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
GFCI Light-light.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by bengal21; 12-13-2010 at 01:47 PM.
bengal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,820

GFCI Light

Some GFI's have a LED that lights when power is tripped, others have the light when the power is on.

Is the wiring on the LINE or LOAD terminals of the GFI?

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI Light

I never pulled the recepticles out of their boxes (the romex wire ran from the recepticles to junction boxes below the floor joists where they were spliced into a rigid conduit that ran to the panel). I removed the conduit and wiring and installed new plastic boxes and ran romex from the panel to the boxes and spliced them together. I didn't change the way it was wired but I will pull the recepticles out today and check to see. The lights didn't used to be lit up all of the time though.
bengal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

GFCI Light

Did you re-wire the GFCI? maybe mixed up the line & load?
Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote