GFCI Conundrum - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

GFCI conundrum

I've heard all of these wonderful things about GFCI. I'm at Lowe's. I pick up a box of 3 receptacles for this room project I'm doing. I'm at the checkout and I stop and get out of line. I'm about to pay $10 each x 3 = $30 for stuff that's made in China. Why am I doing this? Because it's supposed to be better quality. By definition it can't be good quality if it is made in China. Therefore I'm wondering just what exactly is it that I'm doing here? Now I have two bad choices and I can't decide. Pay $1.20 for lousy old fashioned receptacles or $10 for potentially defective new fancy ones.

Advertisement

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

GFCI conundrum

No one said anything about better quality. Just safer. Although it sounds as of for your application you may or may not need them.

Advertisement

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

GFCI conundrum

What are you even installing them for if they are not required?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

GFCI conundrum

For your situation, it sounds as though you may not even need them. If you want them for the safety purpose alone and you know that all of the outlets are on the same circuit, find the initial outlet (furthermost to start of electrical run) and put the GFCI there with the wire leading to the remaining regular outlets off of the load side. Then you only have to spen $10 on oe GFCI outlet and all out the outlets in the room are still GFCI protected.

Good luck with your project.... make sure the breaker is off... safety first
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 732

GFCI conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwashere View Post
By definition it can't be good quality if it is made in China.
Oh really, ever been to China? I go there a few times a year and visit electronics factories. Guess where all the iPhones, iPads, TV's, PCs are all made? You guessed it, China.

Sadly the US has seriously eroded its manufacturing base over the past 20 years. We're just not competitive when you can pay someone $1.68/hr.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousB For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (08-29-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 164

GFCI conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwashere View Post
I'm about to pay $10 each x 3 = $30 for stuff that's made in China. Why am I doing this? Because it's supposed to be better quality. By definition it can't be good quality if it is made in China.
I also disagree with this....take a look at my table saw, it came from china....its pretty darn good quality.......use my iphone....its the best phone i've ever had.....the list goes on and on.......china makes great stuff....and crap stuff.....can't make a blanket statements like that and be accurate
ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

GFCI conundrum

Seriously, tell us where you were thinking of installing them and we will tell you if its required
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 154

GFCI conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
Sadly the US has seriously eroded its manufacturing base over the past 20 years. We're just not competitive when you can pay someone $1.68/hr.
It's not just the pay. I worked for a Chinese guy. The Chinese are great at mass producing stuff. They'll run circles around everybody when it comes to quantity. The problem is that they know that a given amount of their product will be defective. They willingly forgo fixing defects because they know they'll make up the loss elsewhere. Once you get reamed a few times for fixing defects you realize the boss is right. It's built into their strategy. It's what made them great.

I just get the willies when I pay $10 to buy GFCI's from them.

And in answer to the idea someone had about all outlets on the same circuit. I have a separate circuit for each and every outlet. The room is set up in such a way that it makes the most sense anyway.

Advertisement

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote