Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

GFCI confusion

Numerous posts here indicate that on (older) circuits which do not have a bonding conductor present it is permissible to replace an older 2-prong receptacle with a GFCI receptacle. One of the more heavily emphasized prerequisites for this allowance is to place the provided sticker at the receptacle which indicates 'no equipment ground'.

What is the purpose of this sticker? Do GFCIs without a bonding conductor operate differently than those with a bonding conductor?

Last edited by jlmran; 01-17-2011 at 06:13 AM.
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 666

GFCI confusion

Try this. If you are operating an appliance,say refridgerator on a gfi 2 wire non grounded circuit and the compressor is leaking to the frame,the whole unit is hot. I've seen where a mom had opened the fridge while doing dishes.She got zinged,but was ok.The device operated as designed,I got asked to restock her freezer.

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

GFCI confusion

The GFCI unit works the same way.

1. If there is a ground prong hole in the receptacle that is not grounded, it must be labeled so. (Many situations such as simply substituting a 3 prong receptacle where a 2 prong receptacle used to be in an ordinary circuit are not allowed at all.)

2. The GFCI is intended to protect people from electrocution but there are a few more situations where you could get a slight shock if there is no ground.

3. Users of electronic equipment are warned that if certain hum or other undesirable situations normally alleviated by a common equiment ground are encountered, that the receptacle is not providing such a ground and external grounding such as a separate wire daisy chained among the equipment could be desirable.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

GFCI confusion

A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second.

Bonding ( that most people call a ground, or ground wire) the appliance gives a third path for fault current to return back to the source of supply.

Proper bonding creates an electrically continuous low resistance path for fault current to return to the neutral at the service.

Say the frost builds up in the back of your refrigerator. A relay get frozen up and there is 2 or 3 amps of fault current to the refrigerator frame.

2 or 3 amps is not enough current to trip your 15 amp breaker.
Without a return ( bonging ground wire) the refrigerator is energized.

The GFCI doesn't pop because there isn't any current flow or imbalance (no bonding) / ground wire.

When you grab on to the reefer and touch the wet counter top or dish water the current flows. YOU! become the lower resistance path back to the source. The GFCI detects the current imbalance and trips.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Hourglass52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #5

GFCI confusion

I understand how GFCIs function. My original question addressed the need for the sticker. What decisions would a user make based on the 'no ground' label?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

GFCI confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmran View Post
I understand how GFCIs function. My original question addressed the need for the sticker. What decisions would a user make based on the 'no ground' label?

Basically the sticker is telling the user that they will not be protected in a ground fault conditions. No bonding = no ground.

The GFCI will protect you at a lower over current condition. If you drop your laptop in the bath tub while taking a bath it will trip quicker than a OCPD.

Bob
Hourglass52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

GFCI confusion

Quote:
Perhaps use a different receptacle. Or perhaps not if he needs an extension cord.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 614

GFCI confusion

The purpose of the sticker is (obviously) to tell the user that a ground wire is not present. Safety is not affected. Some devices like surge protectors need to ground to dump excess voltage. When hooked up to a non-grounded GFCI, electronics will not have over-voltage protection.

In other cases, electronics may have interference or noise.

Human safety is not jepordized
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #9

GFCI confusion

Electronics is the answer. Thanks.

"Anti-wingnut" - does that mean you crimp or solder all connections?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 614

GFCI confusion

Quote:
"Anti-wingnut" - does that mean you crimp or solder all connections?
No, has nothing to do with electricity.

Too bad people couldn't have answered your question earlier. It was clear what you were asking, but people like to drone on about tangential subjects and impress themselves
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

GFCI confusion

Quote:
Most people don't understand what the sticker is telling them. And then, how long will the sticker stay in place? Young people will just insert the plug if it fits.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #12

GFCI confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair
Most people don't understand what the sticker is telling them. And then, how long will the sticker stay in place? Young people will just insert the plug if it fits.
Another thread (can't cite it right now) has discussed the lack of training in the industrial arts for the young people as a real problem.