Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to bwoo Send a message via Yahoo to bwoo Send a message via Skype™ to bwoo

GFCI breaker problems

When we redid our kitchen, we made a stupid mistake. We placed the outlet (a GFI outlet) to our dishwasher and garbage disposal unit behind the dishwasher.

The other day, the GFI tripped. I don't think it is a big deal other than a big draw at the wrong time. But since I don't want to keep pulling the dishwasher out, i replaced the GFI outlet with a standard outlet, and then replaced the standard circuit breaker with a 20-amp GFCI breaker. However, the GFCI is tripping instantaneously.

I now do not have GFI protection because I have to pull out the dishwasher again.

I have the same problem with a set of outlets in the kitchen. I wanted to use standard outlets because they look better, so I used a GFCI breaker instead, but it is tripping straight away.

My range hood is on a standard breaker with a GFI outlet with no problem. Anyone have any ideas?

bwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

GFCI breaker problems

Are any of these circuits that are tripping right away multi wire branch circuits? (black, red, white, ground in same cable)

The bare ground touching the neutral screw when you pushed the receptacle back into the wall will cause this problem too.

Just some common items to get you started...

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to bwoo Send a message via Yahoo to bwoo Send a message via Skype™ to bwoo

GFCI breaker problems

yes, actually, we're taking a 3 wire red, black, neutral and it is split. the red goes to one set of outlets, the black to another... what do you recommend?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

GFCI breaker problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoo View Post
yes, actually, we're taking a 3 wire red, black, neutral and it is split. the red goes to one set of outlets, the black to another... what do you recommend?
Only a double pole GFCI breaker will work on multiwire branch circuits, if a breaker is your method of choice. You can't protect one leg of a MWBC with a single pole breaker. The breaker will trip every time.

Consequently, why are you GFCI protecting the dish machine and the disposal? That is not required, and in fact it's a little weird. You can do so if you want, it's just strange.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 AM   #5

GFCI breaker problems

thanks mdshunk. i was told by my GC that i needed to protect the dishwasher in NY city. NY City electrical code is stupidly strigent!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #6

GFCI breaker problems

mdshunk,
can you recommend a manufacturer of a double pole GFCI breaker? does that mean that both poles of the breaker is protected by the GFCI? or can one leg be GFCI and the other not?

b