DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

gfci in bathroom

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  n175h 
#1 ·
My 1972 house has not gfci plug in the bathroom. I'm replacing the vanity, and now is the time to fix it. I have one 20 amp circuit that feeds the lights and the plug. I have no more room in my panel for more breakers.

Can I keep the light on the circuit and pigtail off the circuit and hook the 20 amp gfci plug downstream the lights?

NEC 210.11(3) states that at least one 20 amp branch circuit shall be provided and shall have no other outlets. Since the light is upstream and not an outlet am I correct in my reading of the code that such a configuration is allowed, or am I not finding all the facts?

David

#3 ·
A light box IS an "outlet". A receptacle is also an outlet. Technically, the thing on the wall you stick the plug into is a receptacle, which is a form of outlet.

You do not need to bring your 1973 home up to modern codes unless you are doing a renovation or you just want to. You CAN have the bath on one 20A circuit, which would include all the outlets in that bath; receptacles, fan, lights, etc. It doesn't matter if it is upstream or downstream. They are still all on the same circuit.

Reactions: gregzoll
#4 · (Edited)
You answered my question. I wasn't sure of the complete definition. Now I know. Since I have the wall open I wanted to bring it to 2011 code, but I don't have any more open spots at the panel board. I'll just install a 20a gfci in the box where I removed the former vanity plug, but it won't be dedicated. It will share its load with and be "downstream"the luminaire circuit breaker. I don't plan on putting the luminaire on the load side of the gfci.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.