DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GFCI from basement laundry to outdoor outlet

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  theatretch85 
#1 ·
I currently have a GFCI outlet in the basement laundry room and just outside the wall is an exterior outlet that doesn't appear to be GFCI protected. Can I run from the laundry outlet through the existing wall penetration to the outdoor outlet? Not sure if this didn't follow code or generally accepted practices.

#3 ·
Looks like the service panel runs to a GFCI outlet that runs the sump pump below. That outlet wiring then runs back into the service panel where it is pigtailed to the outdoor receptacle wiring. Seems like if the outdoor outlet trips the GFCI, I might be out of luck with no power to the sump pump. If you have anymore input , let me know. Thanks for the quick response!

#8 ·
If this GFCI receptacle is part of the required laundry circuit, then it is a code violation to feed an outside receptacle from that circuit. If the outside receptacle is not GFCI protected, then replace it with a GFCI.

#9 ·
I dont care if they did do away with it,why would have it on a gfi,your only asking for problems if it fails.If the wire from the panel goes to the gfi then to the sump you can put both wires on the line side of the gfi and that will take the sump off of the gfi,but the feed out of the sump will also be taken of the gfi.

#12 ·
They actually make sump pumps that have a battery backup system. I don't know what the rated run time is for the battery backup units, but its a complete charging system designed for the sump pump. I have seen them in use before and the battery sits in its own battery box; basically just a heavy duty car battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.